From: Shiro <rt9f.3141@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] NFS suicide on RPi3 and RPi4 9front, but works on RMiller's Plan9.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 16:18:38 -0700	[thread overview]

> On Mar 11, 2021, at 7:07 AM, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
>
> Quoth Shiro <rt9f.3141@gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m not sure I’m reporting to the appropriate place.  Please advise.  And apologies in advance if I’m spamming this group.
>>

> This is fine, but 9front@9front.org is probably
> better for 9front specific questions.

thx.

> As far as uploading information -- 9front ships
> with webpaste, so it's easy to get text uploaded,
> which would let people copy values.

Noted, I’ll use this next time.

>> Photo 3: acid is pointing to line 431.  From above, n is too large
>> to be a strlen.  I suspect it actually failed in memmove(), but
>> I’m not sure — I’ve only got 2 months on Plan9/9front and this is
>> the first time I do acid.
>
> Acid just shows whole words, so you're seeing 64
> bits of a 32 bit value.  If you look closely,
> you'll actually notice that the top bits in 'n'
> are also the bottom bits of 'dat'
>
> It's a bit unfortunate, you either have to tell
> acid how to format the type, or you have to know
> that you just need to ignore the top bits.

OK, better than nothing.  Hmm, maybe enhancing Acid to correctly format the type would be a nice GSOC project?

> Anyawys, the faulting address is
>
>        addr=0x100061fa0 pc=37930
>
> Which shows up in R4. Given that *almost* the same
> addresses (0x61fa0) in the other registers.  It
> looks like it could be stack corruption.
>
> Is this easy to reproduce?  Are you using the
> binary from the last release, or is it your own
> build?

Yes, this is very easy to reproduce.  It happens immediately on the first “ls”.  I’m using the released bin image:
        9front-8013.d9e940a768d1.pi3.img.gz

Steps to reproduce:

1: Create and export a dir on Linux.  Add the dir to /etc/exports for NFSv3:

/srv/l9p                    192.168.1.0/24(rw,insecure,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

Then on Plan9:

2: start the NFS server:

nfs -p 775 -s i7 192.168.1.7

3: mount the NFS export:

mount -c /srv/i7 /n/i7 /srv/l9p

4: attempt to use it:

ls /n/i7

and the NFS server will crash on RPi3 and RPi4.