* [9fans] environment variables
@ 2009-11-23 22:24 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-11-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

If I have an rc script and I don't specify any rfork in it, then the
namespace and the environment should be shared.
So, having an 'a' script

#!/bin/rc
a = hello
cd c   #later on...

and a 'b' script:

#!/bin/rc
echo $a

and running the 'b' script, I'd expect that the 'a' variable would be set to
'hello' and written out. But it does not work like that, thanks to some
caching or what. How should the 'b' script, or whatever, be corrected so
that it work?

Further, I am now a bit puzzled about whose property the 'current directory'
is. Why isn't the directory changed to 'c' after runing either the 'a' or
'b' script? Is this always a local property of each shell?

Thank you a lot
Ruda