* [9fans] how low can you limbo?
@ 2006-05-31  2:24 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-05-31  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

where's limboscript?!

ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/TR-2006-50.pdf
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2006/05/scheme-implementation-in-javascript.html

* Re: [9fans] how low can you limbo?
@ 2006-05-31 13:03 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-05-31 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 07:24:40PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> where's limboscript?!
>
> ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/TR-2006-50.pdf
> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2006/05/scheme-implementation-in-javascript.html

That's nothing.  If you want to see something truly awful, look at what
the FreeBSD people are doing as one of their, `summer of code' projects:
_K: The Kernel Metalanguage_.

>From the blurb:
Kernel meta-language: Develop a dialect of the C language that
simplifies the task of writing kernel code. It should include language
extensions that make it possible to write kernel code more cleanly and
with less bugs. An example of this would have language support for
linked lists, to obviate the need for messy MACROs. George V.
Neville-Neil and Poul-Henning Kamp are coordinating.

http://wikitest.freebsd.org/K

This paper that the reference, from Berkeley:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~zf/papers/ivy-hotos05.pdf
doesn't mention limbo at all (or Cyclone).

Nor do the other references (though they do mention Singularity, from MS
research).

It's like a complexity bomb went off inside these guys' heads.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] how low can you limbo?
@ 2006-06-01  8:43   ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2006-06-01  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dan Cross wrote:
>  projects: _K: The Kernel Metalanguage_.
>
> > From the blurb:
>  Kernel meta-language: Develop a dialect of the C language that
>  simplifies the task of writing kernel code. It should include
>  language extensions that make it possible to write kernel code more
>  cleanly and with less bugs. An example of this would have language
>  support for linked lists, to obviate the need for messy MACROs.

... and then we can implement it on a HLL machine and call it ESPOL
and 20 years later everyone will have forgotten about it.

>  It's like a complexity bomb went off inside these guys' heads.

That is a wonderful, scary and, I fear, apposite image.

OTOH, it *would* be a way cool weapon to own:
"Don't worry, colonel, I dropped an abstruse complexity grenade into the
guardhouse.
 They'll be forming committees for *months*".

    DaveL

* Re: [9fans] how low can you limbo?
@ 2006-06-01  8:56     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-06-01  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

needs to be taken out with a machine pistol, if only the
Co2 practice.  parisian pigeons (who woke me)
went away or plummeted to uncertainty.

i'm glad there was a packed cartridge .. wouldn't wake
boyd with either of us armed.

brucee