* Re: Re: ASCII Glenda (was Re: [9fans] gcc on plan9)
@ 2006-07-17  2:08 jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-07-17  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator

for the obsessives.

* Re: [9fans] gcc on plan9
@ 2006-06-08  1:04 jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-06-08  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When I got home this evening after a very frustrating
couple of days (weeks, really) and found my mailbox slashdotted
with this, it took physical restraint to prevent me from
replying.

But this was too good to resist:

On Wed Jun  7 20:33:26 EDT 2006, corey_s@qwest.net wrote:
> Wait, no - because I am not Super-Programmer. And also because, one of the
> primary benefits of open-source software and code-reuse in general is... well,
> so. that. people. may. reuse. code.

You missed the 'bad' before 'code'.

People are lazy and stupid (me included) and will always look for
the easy way out. Open Source (as it is generally understood) has
merely lowered the standard for entry.

Lucho's work to upgrade David Hogan's GCC port is being done for a
very particular purpose, it's part of a Department of Energy research
project looking at operating system requirements for the next
generation of peta-scale supercomputers and it's necessary to run
some of the accepted supercomputer applications on Plan 9 for comparison.
The resulting GCC will be, as now, walled off in its own ghetto and
not play any part in the day to day life or death struggles of Plan 9.
If it proves to be too difficult to get the targeted applications to
run this way, we'll look for another solution.