* [9fans] Nice toy
@ 2009-11-14  2:30 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-11-14  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Any one tried a Asus Eee PC T91? I claim it is the best outta the box
$500 computer available (this week anyway). I'm scribbling on it as I
speak. Touch/Swivel/Tablet screen, All the usual stuff and gps and tv
tuner and ... lotsa stuff I haven't played with. I can't keep up with
the eee port.

Totally of topic.

MP Inferno is going well. The new chips have been released. 64 cores
now. Still waiting for the CAD tools to fit it on the chips. It'll be
finished in 3 hours. If you like fun and have talent you can write
functions in restricted C and it generates VHDL to add custom
instructions, and the tools are very good - simple example being that
a memmove instruction is ten times faster than the best you can write
in asm or c. Anyone interested in this please e-mail me (off list). A
brucee example is for the Heap processor there is now a "find first
block of size N, coalescing as you go" instruction. 20 times speedup.

This is exciting (to me) but I don't have time for the obvious
optimizations. You don't need the hardware either ..~$500. The
emulators/simulators are enough. And if you know Modelsim you can
simulate the 4 chip board.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] Nice toy
@ 2009-11-17 15:55 ` Sam Watkins
From: Sam Watkins @ 2009-11-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 01:30:12PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> Any one tried a Asus Eee PC T91? I claim it is the best outta the box
> $500 computer available (this week anyway). I'm scribbling on it as I
> speak. Touch/Swivel/Tablet screen, All the usual stuff and gps and tv
> tuner and ... lotsa stuff I haven't played with. I can't keep up with
> the eee port.

Sounds nice.  I am going to enjoy my "open pandora" when it arrives :)
It's a nice fast ARM powered pocket PC, runs Linux, open design process,
fully open software, http://openpandora.org/  (not open hardware yet)

> Totally of topic.

Also!  :)  I expect I will be able to run plan 9 on it, if only in qemu.

Sam