* [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2009-12-25  9:43 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-12-25  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Do not spend too much time trying to figure out why this math works.
The basis for the computation is complicated; the important point is
that this is how Microsoft operating systems do it, and it works.  Note,
however, that this math does not work perfectly."
	- Microsoft EFI FAT32 File System Specification, p. 32

- erik

* Re: [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2009-12-25 18:48 ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2009-12-25 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

-_-`	Oh boy...

>- erik

* Re: [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2009-12-26  5:44 ` Jamie Gavahan
From: Jamie Gavahan @ 2009-12-26  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 03:43, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> "Do not spend too much time trying to figure out why this math works.
> The basis for the computation is complicated; the important point is
> that this is how Microsoft operating systems do it, and it works.  Note,
> however, that this math does not work perfectly."
>        - Microsoft EFI FAT32 File System Specification, p. 32

Even better is that it is referred to as "a clever piece of arithmetic" two
pages earlier.

- jamie

* Re: [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2009-12-26  5:50   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-12-26  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it doesn't work, it doesn't have to, and it's secret!

perfect documentation for shitware.

brucee

On 12/26/09, Jamie Gavahan <redpike@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 03:43, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > "Do not spend too much time trying to figure out why this math works.
> > The basis for the computation is complicated; the important point is
> > that this is how Microsoft operating systems do it, and it works.  Note,
> > however, that this math does not work perfectly."
> >        - Microsoft EFI FAT32 File System Specification, p. 32
>
> Even better is that it is referred to as "a clever piece of arithmetic" two
> pages earlier.
>
> - jamie

* Re: [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2009-12-26  6:42     ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-12-26  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So... mm...

Where's the working AMD 64 port again?

oh, ok
ak

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> it doesn't work, it doesn't have to, and it's secret!
>
> perfect documentation for shitware.
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2009-12-26  6:49       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-12-26  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

answer in one.

On 12/26/09, Akshat Kumar <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> So... mm...
>
> Where's the working AMD 64 port again?
>

> oh, ok
> ak
>
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > it doesn't work, it doesn't have to, and it's secret!
> >
> > perfect documentation for shitware.
> >
> > brucee

* Re: [9fans] quote of the day
@ 2008-02-13 23:08 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-13 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Freenode.net just netsplitted. Here is from the ##c chat room:

saparok
17:59
wow.  I didnt' realize that dd command could take down all of freenode.

On Feb 13, 2008, at 5:03 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> from the linux kernel:
>
> 	bootsplash: silent mode.
>
> - erik

* [9fans] quote of the day