* Re: [9fans] Hey, new to this. Trying to get plan9 to work in a VM.
@ 2011-06-07 17:13 paul.a.lalonde
From: paul.a.lalonde @ 2011-06-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs,
	Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Putting on my GPU architect hat for a minute...
It's generally *not* true that a GPU element is more power efficient than regular core.  The GPU relies heavily on having many work elements to compute simultaneously that follow the same control paths.  Divergence in that control flow typically leads to substantially higher power use to get your results.  That said, if you have a numerically heavy workload with many paths having the same control flow, then you might see a power advantage.   But for most code, which is branchy and loopy you'll almost certainly be pessimizing your code.
Paul

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

From: Josh Marshall @ 2011-06-05  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans