* [9fans] Query on Venti access
@ 2008-10-27 10:28 anoop.anoop
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: anoop.anoop @ 2008-10-27 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi All,

I am new to plan9 and venti. All your help is greatly appreciated.
I am doing a project and my professor suggested that I use venti as a
back end server.

Could any you please let me know whether it is possible to access a
Venti server running on a plan 9 machine from another machine running
Ubuntu? I plan to write a C++ program that will execute on an Ubuntu
system and communicate with the Venti server running on a Plan 9
system. Is this possible?

If this is possible I plan to read up extensively on Venti and educate
myself in this direction.

Regards,
Anoop

* Re: [9fans] Query on Venti access
@ 2008-10-27 10:46 ` Gorka Guardiola
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2008-10-27 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM,  <anoop.anoop@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to plan9 and venti. All your help is greatly appreciated.
> I am doing a project and my professor suggested that I use venti as a
> back end server.
>
> Could any you please let me know whether it is possible to access a
> Venti server running on a plan 9 machine from another machine running
> Ubuntu? I plan to write a C++ program that will execute on an Ubuntu
> system and communicate with the Venti server running on a Plan 9
> system. Is this possible?

You can use this:
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man8/vbackup.html

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Query on Venti access
@ 2008-10-27 10:47 ` matt
From: matt @ 2008-10-27 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The most comprehensive man pages are on swtch.com

Venti uses a simple protocol, the C library is described here :
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man3/venti.html

And the source here :
http://swtch.com/usr/local/plan9/src/libventi/

this is the intro

http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man7/venti.html

mjl already did a client in Limbo so it is obviously possible :)

@ 2008-10-30 15:55 ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-10-30 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* anoop.anoop@gmail.com <anoop.anoop@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Could any you please let me know whether it is possible to access a
> Venti server running on a plan 9 machine from another machine running
> Ubuntu?

have a look at plan9port :)

BTW: I'm running both venti and clients on Gentoo systems.

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info@metux.de   skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] Query on Venti access
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-12  9:37 ` anoop.anoop
From: anoop.anoop @ 2008-11-12  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thank you all. Really appreciate your help.