From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] OS install floppy hangs during boot on Bochs 1.4.1
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:00:12 -0500	[thread overview]

> Would it be prohibitively time-consuming to calculate the hash on
> the fly after the "make download diskette" button is invoked,
> i.e., at the same time as the diskette image is created?  Then the
> hash could appear on the same page as the actual floppy image
> download link.

it wouldn't be time-consuming for the computer, but it
would be time-consuming for us.  that's not the way the
download works.  it would require creating the floppy image,
and we don't actually do that to generate the floppy
image download link.  we just generate and save the plan9.ini,
which is inserted as we send you the disk image.

as you might imagine, it's a lot less disk space
to have just a different plan9.ini for each session
than a different image.

also, even the "default" disk is different for each
downloader, since it contains the installurl in plan9.ini,
which has your very own random session cookie.