* Re: [9fans] UN to fund linux for the 3rd world
@ 2004-09-02 10:37 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-09-02 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Lucio,

> > Quite seriously, why is *BSD "superior" to Linux?  How do you define
> > "superior"?  I would really like to know.  (Let's take it as granted
> > that OpenBSD is more "secure".  Fine.  What other criteria are there?)
>
> That's not how I interpret the snippet you replied to.  The "superior"
> platform would be Plan 9, the *BSD are mere alternatives to Linux.

I can see that - I admit it wasn't clear in the original post.

> Plan 9 is unquestionably superior, no quotes required.

Agreed.

> Firstly, there is no such thing as "full featured".  For all of 10000
> packages (I'm guessing, but I think I'm pretty close) that NetBSD
> offers, I still can't conveniently exchange a PowerPoint presentation
> with a near infinite number of MS users unless I run some version of
> Windows.  The same is valid even more for Visio (have I got the right
> name?).  That is "full featured" even though Windows is lacking many
> of the options (ethereal, say) of the Unix world.

Full-featured is in the eye of the beholder (like most things); as
I expanded, I meant it as "lots of really useful programs already there
out of the box."

> Stable?  Linux is considerably less stable than the *BSDs, as it is
> all too frequently updated.

I should have stated my definition.  I meant "stable" as in "never crashes
unless the hardware is flakey."  I do see your point using your definition,
and thus that's one point of the kind I was looking for in favor of *BSD.

> > The *only* issue I ever have with Linux is hardware support for either
> > very new or very proprietary hardware (monitors, network and video cards),
> > and that is usually solved with time.  The installation experience has
> > only gotten *better* over the years.
>
> This weakness is a poor criticism to level at any OS competing with
> Windows.

It wasn't meant negatively; it was a statement of fact that, like it
or not, is a down point for Linux.  It does apply to all non-MS OS's,
true.

I live in Israel.  I can't just mosey on down to my local Circuit City
and pick out hardware that'll work with Linux.  I have a good relationship
with a wonderful computer store, but they have hardware that they like.
In the past, I've had monitor/video card/sound card issues, which were usually
solved by the next linux release.  More recently I had a wireless networking
card issue, where the box said "Linux" but it was a binary driver that
would only work for RH 9, not Fedora.  (Solved via linuxant.com, but
that's another story.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that overall, my experience has been
positive, but not picture perfect.  That's OK.

> And, yes, I do appreciate that the
> Linux developers are leading in this race, but that's through sheer
> number, the *BSD device drivers are almost without fail better
> designed and implemented than the Linux ones they admittedly imitate.

Point two in favor of *BSD.

> So the question is not what ought to be recommended for the average user,

I was asking for me personally, as a committed techy/Unix type. I wasn't
out to solve the world's problems. :-)

> We also understand that without a much larger developers community,
> Plan 9 will stagnate, so we all pray that our favourite toy would
> become more widespread.  But in my opinion it's another chimera, we
> need to attract more sophisticated developers, keep the quality of the
> system up, be less concerned about quantity.  As long as Plan 9 can
> uniquely claim features such as a bullet-proof security, factotum,
> venti, uniformity of the namespace etc., it stands a head above the
> competitors.  It may not have a popular following, but then if one is
> to judge by popular following, what can compete with Windows?  And,
> for that matter, who would want to?

Well said.

Thanks,

Arnold

[parent not found: <Pine.LNX.4.44.0409031316170.22793-100000@maxroach.lanl.gov>]
* Re: [9fans] UN to fund linux for the 3rd world
@ 2004-09-02  9:40 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-09-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Seriously, though, I can understand why they might not be in a hurry
> to push something like Plan 9, but (a) if this is funding new development,
> why not pick a technically superior platform?  (b) why Linux?  Why not
> one of the BSD distributions?  (c) Can't technology win just this once?

Quite seriously, why is *BSD "superior" to Linux?  How do you define
"superior"?  I would really like to know.  (Let's take it as granted
that OpenBSD is more "secure".  Fine.  What other criteria are there?)

I've been using Linux since the days of Redhat 4.0, circa 1997.  I find
it to be stable, full-featured (yes, this is a bug and a feature) and
to perform well.

The *only* issue I ever have with Linux is hardware support for either
very new or very proprietary hardware (monitors, network and video cards),
and that is usually solved with time.  The installation experience has
only gotten *better* over the years.

And the Linux dists come with *tons* of day-to-day useful software that
I would have to go out and find and build were I running a commercial
Unix system.

For many people, the reality is that they can't run Plan 9 for day to day
production use.  That means they have to run a *nix box.  So, given that
that is the world we're playing in, I'd rather run Linux than Solaris,
AIX, or HP-UX any day.  And since all I can afford are x86 boxes, that
limits me to Solaris, Linux and *BSD.  So, why should I switch to a
BSD system?

This IS NOT a flame.  I do not claim that Linux is perfect, the be-all,
end all, etc, nor that all GNU software is wonderful etc etc.  I would
merely like to understand what technical merits *BSD has that Linux
doesn't.

Thanks,

Arnold

* [9fans] UN to fund linux for the 3rd world
@ 2004-09-01 14:48 boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-09-01 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i heard this soundbite on the BBC.  hmm ...
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604