I'll answer my own question. It is true; the last arena takes the remaining space. This is not good if the intention is to dump to fixed size removable media, which is the whole reason for the arenas in the first place. I know that if the last arena is filling, then it's time to get a new disk drive, but it would be nice to be able to dump the last arena before getting a new disk. This is the code in fmtarenas.. if(limit >= ap->size || ap->size - limit < MinArenaSize){ limit = ap->size; if(limit - addr < MinArenaSize) fatal("bad arena set math: runt arena at %lld,%lld %lld\n", addr, limit, ap->size); } Now I think that should be if(limit > ap->size || ap->size - limit < MinArenaSize){ limit = ap->size; if(limit - addr < MinArenaSize) fatal("bad arena set math: runt arena at %lld,%lld %lld\n", addr, limit, ap->size); } anyway. I'd suggest replacing this with if(limit > ap->size) break;