9load will be gone soon. muzgo and i are working on 9pcload wich will use /dev/reboot to start the final kernel and use the native plan9 drivers. 9pcload will itself be loaded by some simple bootblocks. we have iso (el torito in non emulation mode - no floppy emulation) and pxe working already. for harddisk here are lba and chs bootblocks available that load 9pcload from a patchable lba offset and a multi staged loader that will detect lba/chs automatically and is more flexible on finding 9pcload is in the works. this terminal and my thinkpad are already network booted without any 9load involvement! :) -- cinap