* [9fans] cdrw?  dvdrw ?
@ 2003-01-07 16:27 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2003-01-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

Are cd-burners/cdrw drives standardised these days such that plan9 can burn
CDs any current drive - at one time only a few where supported.

If so do these work for R/W's as well as WORM disks?

Also are/all any dvd writers be supported ?

Thanks,

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] cdrw?  dvdrw ?
@ 2003-01-07 16:33 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-07 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Are cd-burners/cdrw drives standardised these days such that plan9 can burn
> CDs any current drive - at one time only a few where supported.

> If so do these work for R/W's as well as WORM disks?

CD-RWs and CD-Rs, yes.  If by WORM you mean CD-R, yes.
(I've never seen them named WORM, but I suppose they are.)

> Also are/all any dvd writers be supported ?

I haven't tried but I believe that writing to DVDs
will just work in cdfs.  Someone (Richard Miller?)
was trying this at one point.

The hard part there is creating the images.
Most systems won't read 9660 images burnt to DVD.
If you don't care about other systems reading the
DVD, then arbitrary byte streams should just work,
if not immediately then with minimal effort.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cdrw?  dvdrw ?
@ 2003-01-07 16:58   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2003-01-07 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I haven't tried but I believe that writing to DVDs
> will just work in cdfs.  Someone (Richard Miller?)
> was trying this at one point.

No, my writable dvd drive is a DVD-RAM, which is block-addressable
like a hard drive so you can write to it with kfs or venti.  The
drawback is you can't read the discs in any other kind of dvd player.
And they cost too much.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] cdrw?  dvdrw ?
@ 2003-01-07 17:19     ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-01-07 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you haven't purchased one yet, and you have the money, look at the
Sony DRU500A. It handles CD-R/-RW, DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW. Bruce Ellis
(brucee) purchased one and was quite impressed.

* [9fans] deadlock in page(1)
@ 2003-01-08 11:40       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2003-01-08 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When page calls gs to display a postscript file which uses \r as a line
terminator (not \n or \r\n), deadlock ensues.  Here's a correction (which
may also reduce the need for the '-P' option):

/sys/src/cmd/page/ps.c:429 a ps.c:430,434
> 	/*
> 	 * If last line terminator is \r, gs will read ahead to check for \n
> 	 * so send one to avoid deadlock.
> 	 */
> 	write(ps->gsfd, "\n", 1);

-- Richard Miller