* [9fans] ftpd needs a network address
@ 2006-09-24  6:17 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-24  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi
When I try to run "ip/ftpd", I get the message "ip/ftpd: ftpd needs a
network address".
What does this mean? I have a valid internet connection; is this just
happening because I'm not running ftpd from cpurc?
What's up?
Thanks

John Floren
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] ftpd needs a network address
@ 2006-09-24  6:59 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-24  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi
> When I try to run "ip/ftpd", I get the message "ip/ftpd: ftpd needs a
> network address".
> What does this mean? I have a valid internet connection; is this just
> happening because I'm not running ftpd from cpurc?
> What's up?

This is the source:

	/* find out who is calling */
	if(argc < 1)
		nci = getnetconninfo(nil, 0);
	else
		nci = getnetconninfo(argv[argc-1], 0);
	if(nci == nil)
		sysfatal("ftpd needs a network address");

getnetconninfo() returns nil on various locations, but as you mentioned cpurc,

	if(dir == nil || *dir == 0){
		if(fd2path(fd, path, sizeof(path)) < 0)
			return nil;

fd2path(2):
          Changes to the underlying name space do not update the path
          name stored with the file descriptor.  Therefore, the path
          returned by fd2path may no longer refer to the same file (or
          indeed any file) after some component directory or file in
          the path has been removed, renamed or rebound.

So you don't start ftpd with extra parameters I assume, so where is ftpd started (path-wise, ns-wise, term/cpurc-wise...)?

Just guessing,

Sascha

@ 2006-09-24  8:02 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-24  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

listen is supposed to start ftpd on an already-established connection.
/rc/bin/service/tcp21

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ftpd needs a network address
@ 2006-09-25 11:28   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay, I guess that I had never actually tried connecting to my
machine, because ftp works. However, when I connect, it asks for a
username, then prints something like this:
331 encrypt challenge, 83876, as a password
Password:

What am I supposed to do? I don't know how to encrypt that number. Am
I missing something obvious?

John Floren
--

@ 2006-09-25 11:40     ` gabidiaz
From: gabidiaz @ 2006-09-25 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello

you should take a look at passwd(1) as mentioned in ipserv(8)

a program called netkey is needed to response to the challenge, there are
various ports out there, look at the wiki for various links or google for it :)

slds

gabi

@ 2006-09-25 11:43     ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-09-25 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good day.

Am Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:28:54 -0400
schrieb "John Floren" <slawmaster@gmail.com>:

> What am I supposed to do? I don't know how to encrypt that number. Am
> I missing something obvious?

Just read ipserv(8). It describes in detail what you are 'supposed to
do'.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] ftpd needs a network address
@ 2006-09-25 11:44       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-25 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/25/06, gabidiaz@gmail.com <gabidiaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> you should take a look at passwd(1) as mentioned in ipserv(8)
>

> a program called netkey is needed to response to the challenge, there are
> various ports out there, look at the wiki for various links or google for it :)
>
> slds
>
> gabi

Thanks, I found the netkey source on my system. I'll test in a bit.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI