* [9fans] Plan 9 music server
@ 2006-10-19 17:16 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-10-19 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi everyone

I'm looking at putting all of my music files onto my Plan 9 box and
having it serve them to whatever computer I happen to be using at the
time. Now, when I'm here at home, I use Linux, but elsewhere I could
be using Windows, Mac OS, Solaris, or Linux. It seems that if I was
*only* using Plan 9 terminals, I'd just be able to do 'import
/lib/music' (which is where I'm putting the files, just to have
somewhere standard) and use a local player. However, plan9port's
'import' command seems to work differently, and I don't always have
access to Plan 9 or a box with plan9port. I suppose it is also
feasible to just have it http-accessable, but that's not as convenient
as I'd like.
Are any of you doing something similar--that is, using Plan 9 to serve
up media to your other computers? I'd like some pointers or even
something like, "No, nothing does what you want right now, go write
it" :-)

Thanks

John Floren
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 music server
@ 2006-10-19 18:58 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-10-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You could use Aquarela to export it as
a windows share.

Russ

@ 2006-10-20 14:55 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-20 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

John Floren wrote:

> Are any of you doing something similar--that is, using Plan 9 to serve
> up media to your other computers? I'd like some pointers or even
> something like, "No, nothing does what you want right now, go write
> it" :-)

we had a project here that stalled on the guy who was doing it (students
have classes or something -- weird!), to build a '9pod', that would be a
small embedded device that would run plan 9 and import music from
9grid.net*  via 802.11 -- and it would run an LRU cache so that it
worked disconnected. It's what I really want -- ipod is ok, but needs
connection to update, this would cache what I want from whereever I am.

So, yeah, I'd like to hear more ... whatever you do would be helpful.

ron

*protected by user, per user, only the user who made MP3 can read it,
not open to all, so RIAA, please F*** OFF

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 music server
@ 2006-10-20 15:17     ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-20 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Robert Sherwood wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but can someone point me to documentation for the
> LRU cache you've referenced here? It may be something I've been looking
> for for other purposes.

file lru cache. It's very easy thing to write, I've written them several
times. We were not gonna by smart.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 music server
@ 2006-10-20 15:17   ` Robert Sherwood
From: Robert Sherwood @ 2006-10-20 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-10-20 17:25   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-10-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/20/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> John Floren wrote:
>
> > Are any of you doing something similar--that is, using Plan 9 to serve
> > up media to your other computers? I'd like some pointers or even
> > something like, "No, nothing does what you want right now, go write
> > it" :-)
>

> we had a project here that stalled on the guy who was doing it (students
> have classes or something -- weird!), to build a '9pod', that would be a
> small embedded device that would run plan 9 and import music from
> 9grid.net*  via 802.11 -- and it would run an LRU cache so that it
> worked disconnected. It's what I really want -- ipod is ok, but needs
> connection to update, this would cache what I want from whereever I am.
>
> So, yeah, I'd like to hear more ... whatever you do would be helpful.
>
> ron
>
> *protected by user, per user, only the user who made MP3 can read it,
> not open to all, so RIAA, please F*** OFF

Well, at the moment I'm just putting my stuff in a web dir along with
a generated m3u file (sed is great).

I would *really* like to do something like that 9pod, and have some
convenient way to access the files remotely... I'll probably end up
using nfs, unless somebody can help me figure out a good way to do an
"import" style mount from non-Plan 9 boxes (a little program on a
flash stick?). Any 9pod-like device would of course be able to do
"import", and that would be really great if I just had access to some
suitable hardware.

John
--

@ 2006-10-20  2:49 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2006-10-20  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You could use Aquarela to export it as
> a windows share.

CIFS ports are sometimes closed somewhere in long haul
networks.

I make m3u files for my playlists and
make both music(mp3) and m3u files accessible
via http.