From: "John Floren" <slawmaster@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 for a newbie
Date: Fri,  9 Mar 2007 07:56:01 -0800	[thread overview]

On 3/8/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> who needs command history?
>
> grep something /dev/text

As pointed out previously, that's kinda insufficient. I like being able to
look way back in my history. Sometimes I've forgotten an IP or something,
but I've saved myself by grepping my history.

> Also, I saw something in X11 lately. It was a desktop with a bunch of
> xterms. When you resized one xterm, all the others resized so they all
> remained tiled.

This isn't particularly new, but it is nice. I used ion3, a tiled window
manager, for quite some time, but I recently switched back to FVWM.
You'll notice that the Linux tiled WMs focus very strongly on keyboard
use--the idea is that you shouldn't have to touch your mouse for
WM stuff.

<snip>
> Run rio in a term window.

Coolest. Thing. Ever.

<snip>
> note there is no 'ftp' command. Who the heck needs ftp? Just run ftpfs. Done.

A most excellent command indeed! Actually one of my favorite Plan 9'isms.

Anyway, Ron, thanks for actually taking the time to make this list.
Most of the time, anyone who says "I'm new to Plan 9, what's the
deal with X" gets told "GO READ THESE TEN PAPERS, EVERY
PAGE ON THE WIKI, AND ALL THE MAN PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Like Jack Johnson said, this list (perhaps expanded a bit) really
does belong in the glenda inbox.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn