* [9fans] Plan B call for help
@ 2007-03-30 20:59 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2007-03-30 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to find
that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very
patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a working Plan B
install yet, so I'm asking this list if anyone here has experience
installing Plan B on a small scale. I think part of the problem is
that Prof. Ballesteros' setup has more machines than mine does. I'm
fiddling around with a standalone terminal in Qemu.
Thanks

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help
@ 2007-03-30 21:05 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-03-30 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm using Plan B also on standalone laptops.
IIRC, the problem is that your bns is not reaching your fossil.
send me your plan9.ini, /lib/ndb/vol/volumes and fossil configuration.
And I'll try to see what's going on.

BTW, I know at least of another person who did boot Plan B, and is now
trying to get started with omero. He might be reacheable here.

@ 2007-03-30 21:33   ` Paul Hebble
From: Paul Hebble @ 2007-03-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You might mean me. I got Plan B and omero working under QEMU by
unpacking Plan B on top of the Plan 9 image from oszoo.org The steps
I was missing were provided by FJB in the attached email.

[-- Attachment #2: Plan B install Email.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4981 bytes --]

From: "Fco. J. Ballesteros" <nemo@lsub.org>
Date: 26 July 2006 2:41:24 AM CDT
To: maceo@imsa.edu
Cc: lsub@lsub.org
Subject: Plan B install

Hi,

I think there are several problems here.
First, it seems you did not have permissions disabled in your
Plan 9 fs while extracting the planb4e.tgz. Therefore, it seems
that you will miss some files. If you are using fossil, try with

srv -PW instfs

in the fossil console and then

mount -c /srv/instfs /n/inst

to get at /n/inst your file tree with permission checks
disabled. This should allow you to extract it all without problems.

Second, it seems that the problem with omero is that it is missing
some fonts and a mount point. You need to start mntgen at /devs ,
like you are probably doing at /n. IIRC, I changed omero to load
std Plan 9 fonts if it couldn't find Vera, however, maybe your tar
does not include this change. Did you copy it from Plan9's sources?
I've just checked and the source code for Omero in
/n/sources/contrib/nemo/sys/src/cmd/omero/ includes this change.
If yours does not, you could copy an updated one from there, or,
alternatively, we could generate a new binary for you.

hth

:  From: maceo@imsa.edu
:  Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:46:56 -0500
:  To: lsub@lsub.org
:  Subject: [lsub] PlanB Installation Help?
:
:  Hi LSUB,
:
:  I'm curious about trying omero (see below), but so far I have not
:  been able to make it run without crashing.  I have been experimenting
:  with Plan 9 under QEMU under Mac OS X, as downloaded from http://
:  www.oszoo.org/.  So when I wanted to try Plan B, I took this approach:
:
:  1. Duplicate my already-working Plan 9 QEMU image and boot it
:  2. Download the http://lsub.org/ls/export/planb4e.tgz file inside it
:  3. cd / ; tar xzf /path/to/planb4e.tgz
:
:  This produces errors like this:
:
:  tar: can't create NOTICE.PlanB: 'NOTICE.PlanB' mounted directory
:  forbids creation
:  tar: can't create sys/src/NOTICE: 'sys/src/notice' permission denied
:  tar: can't create what: 'what' mounted directory forbids creation
:  tar: can't create what/sargazos: 'what' file does not exist
:
:  There are many more just like this, but this is a representative
:  sampling.
:
:  I am new to Plan 9, so I know that I am probably doing something
:  wrong, probably related to permissions.  However, I am at a loss as
:  to how to pinpoint what it is.  I have been able to install and use
:  Inferno, abaco, and rushhour in this same QEMU image, so I assume the
:  image itself is OK.  Perhaps if PlanB has some unique requirements as
:  to permissions and privileges, that could be elaborated upon in the
:  PlanB web pages?
:
:  For what it's worth, attempting to run omero after that gives me a
:  white-on-black error in the system console like this:
:
:  212 omero: checked 67 page table entries
:  user fault: addr=00000010 pc=0000552c
:  addr not mapped...
:  and so on; I assume the raw register values would not be of use to you.
:
:  My rio window says:
:
:  vname /devs/ui sname 10.0.2.15 mnt /devs addr tcp!10.0.2.15!11007
:  imageinit: can't open font /lib/font/bit/Vera/Vera.12.font: '/lib/
:  font/bit/Vera' does not exist
:  omero 212: suicide: sys: trap: fault write addr=0x10 pc=0x0000552c
:
:  I don't see that font listed in the files that failed to extract, and
:  there is no Vera directory in /lib/font/bit/.
:
:  Thank you for any help you would wish to provide.
:  --
:  	Paul
:
:  Begin forwarded message:
:
:  > From: "Francisco J Ballesteros" <nemo@lsub.org>
:  > Date: 25 July 2006 4:41:56 PM CDT
:  > To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
:  > Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: 9fans Digest, Vol 27, Issue 52
:  > Reply-To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
:  >
:  > I don«t think there more verbose install instructions, sorry. Just
:  > the manual
:  > pages. Anyway, if anyone has problems but still wants to try,
:  > drop us a line to lsub@lsub.org
:  > and we«ll try to help, to avoid
:  > adding noise to this list. Perhaps omero was using some
:  > font or directory that is not std in Plan 9, but it should have called
:  > sysfatal()
:  > in that case. We«ll have to double check.
:  > We plan to make a new update sometime after summer, anyway.
:  >
:  > On 7/25/06, Paul Hebble <maceo@imsa.edu> wrote:
:  >> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 11:23:32PM +0200, Francisco J Ballesteros
:  >> wrote:
:  >> > Just curious. Anyone besides us at urjc tried omero?
:  >> > It has images, as well as bugs :-)
:  >>
:  >> I tried to try omero, but it just crashed.  Then again, I have zero
:  >> confidence that I properly followed the installation instructions to
:  >> "unpack on top of a Plan 9 installation", since tar gave me some
:  >> permissions errors.  Are there more verbose instructions somewhere?

(Apologies if that is poorly formatted, or if FJB wished this to
remain private)
--
	Paul

@ 2007-03-30 21:35   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2007-03-30 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/30/07, Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> I'm using Plan B also on standalone laptops.
> IIRC, the problem is that your bns is not reaching your fossil.
> send me your plan9.ini, /lib/ndb/vol/volumes and fossil configuration.
> And I'll try to see what's going on.
>
> BTW, I know at least of another person who did boot Plan B, and is now
> trying to get started with omero. He might be reacheable here.
>

> On 3/30/07, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to find
> > that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very
> > patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a working Plan B
> > install yet, so I'm asking this list if anyone here has experience
> > installing Plan B on a small scale. I think part of the problem is
> > that Prof. Ballesteros' setup has more machines than mine does. I'm
> > fiddling around with a standalone terminal in Qemu.
> > Thanks
> >

> > John
> > --
> > Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Here is plan9.ini:
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf
bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
fs=127.0.0.1
rootspec=main/active
usrspec=main/active
init=/386/bin/bns -lv
planb=yes
*nomp=1
*nodumpstack=1
partition=new
dmamode=ask
mouseport=ps2
monitor=vesa
vgasize=1280x1024x16

******************************
Here is /lib/ndb/vol/vols. /lib/ndb/vol/volumes never existed, but I
did copy vols to volumes just to be sure:
/srv/fossil main/active / /
/srv/fossil main/active /usr /usr
/srv/fossil main/active /386/bin /bin 'arch=386 type=dir'
/srv/fossil main/active /who /who
/srv/fossil main/active /where /where

*******************************
Here is my fossil configuration:
srv fossil
fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
fsys main open -V -c 1500

Hope this helps

John
--

@ 2007-03-30 22:44     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-03-30 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So there is not a way to pull the omero tree over, and then do an
rbind on /, and go from there? It would be most convenient if there
were a way to use omero to test without dropping files all over the
standard tree.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help
@ 2007-03-30 22:59       ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-03-30 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Regarding the config files they seem correct to me. Perhaps, Paul, you
might try adding
-A to your fossil config, to remove auth for your local srv file. That
might perhaps
explain why bns is not able to mount your fossil.

Regarding Ron comment about how to try omero. It can be used with Plan
9, but then you'd have to
mount it by hand on the std place used in Plan B, /devs/$sysname^ui. And other
omeros would not be seen in /devs as they show up. Also, it will try
to use vera fonts,
that are not included in Plan 9. Appart from these burdens, it should run fine.

We have learn the lesson well. The omero I'm implementing in Limbo for
the octopus
will run in a std Inferno without changing anything. Other tools we're
porting from Plan B
will do the same. We hope to provide all that could be done in Plan B,
both for Inferno and
Plan 9, without chaning either system. That is in part why we did not
package better the Plan B
distribution. What we put in sources can still be used to try the
system, but it requires some effort.