* [9fans] confusing astro output
@ 2009-06-15 18:33 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i ran astro -k a 3 times, a few minutes apart
on the same machine.  the results are suprising

The sun sets at 20:47:50 EDT
The sun sets at 20:47:49 EDT
The sun sets at 20:47:43 EDT

Comet rises at 23:02:57 EDT
Comet rises at 23:03:06 EDT
Comet rises at 23:03:02 EDT

can anyone explain why i don't
get the same answer?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] confusing astro output
@ 2009-06-15 19:43 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2009-06-15 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

most likely "astro" needs to be taught a bit about maths ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE5cHe6c3s

* Re: [9fans] confusing astro output
@ 2009-06-16  2:20   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-16  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Jun 15 15:50:11 EDT 2009, mirtchovski@gmail.com wrote:
> most likely "astro" needs to be taught a bit about maths ;)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE5cHe6c3s

judging from the video, it's too much maths what's the problem.

@ 2009-06-16  2:34   ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-06-16  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM, andrey
mirtchovski<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> most likely "astro" needs to be taught a bit about maths ;)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE5cHe6c3s

What *was* that?

* Re: [9fans] confusing astro output
@ 2009-06-16  2:37     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-16  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Jun 15 22:36:14 EDT 2009, jrm8005@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM, andrey
> mirtchovski<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > most likely "astro" needs to be taught a bit about maths ;)
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE5cHe6c3s
> >

> What *was* that?

proof that the british have a superior educational system.

@ 2009-06-16  2:41     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-06-16  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM, J.R. Mauro<jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM, andrey
> mirtchovski<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> most likely "astro" needs to be taught a bit about maths ;)
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE5cHe6c3s
>>

> What *was* that?

Just a bit of British comedy... I haven't had the opportunity to watch
many episodes, but the ones I've seen are quite good.

John
--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,

* Re: [9fans] confusing astro output
@ 2009-06-29 17:08 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-29 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM, erik quanstrom<quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> i ran astro -k a 3 times, a few minutes apart
> on the same machine.  the results are suprising
>
> The sun sets at 20:47:50 EDT
> The sun sets at 20:47:49 EDT
> The sun sets at 20:47:43 EDT
>
> Comet rises at 23:02:57 EDT
> Comet rises at 23:03:06 EDT
> Comet rises at 23:03:02 EDT
>
> can anyone explain why i don't
> get the same answer?

from ken:

astro "events" are found by a binary
search (in time) on a "crossing" of
the position of objects. for an event
like "rise", "set", "twilight", the event is
very vague because of atmospheric
bending. in those cases, the binary search
is stopped before the precision of the
printing (1 sec). binary searches are
started from the time that the command was
executed. thus the time found for
the crossing will vary.