* [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-11 16:37 John Floren
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Floren @ 2009-08-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi

So I'm trying to clone a private repository I just created on
bitbucket. This is what I see:

destination directory: <repo>
http authorization required
realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP
user: <username>
abort: could not import module msvcrt!

If I try with ssh instead:
jerq% hg -v clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/<username>/<repo>/
running ssh hg@bitbucket.org "hg -R <username>/<repo>/ serve --stdio"
abort: no suitable response from remote hg!

Has anyone else tried this?

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-11 17:52 ` Russ Cox
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-08-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM, John Floren<slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> So I'm trying to clone a private repository I just created on
> bitbucket. This is what I see:

> destination directory: <repo>
> http authorization required
> realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP
> user: <username>
> abort: could not import module msvcrt!

Surely there is a version of https support
that doesn't involve msvcrt?  That's a
Windows DLL.

> If I try with ssh instead:
> jerq% hg -v clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/<username>/<repo>/
> running ssh hg@bitbucket.org "hg -R <username>/<repo>/ serve --stdio"
> abort: no suitable response from remote hg!

Presumably this is because ssh is sshv1
but bitbucket requires sshv2.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-11 18:03   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-08-11 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Russ Cox<rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM, John Floren<slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> So I'm trying to clone a private repository I just created on
>> bitbucket. This is what I see:

>> destination directory: <repo>
>> http authorization required
>> realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP
>> user: <username>
>> abort: could not import module msvcrt!
>
> Surely there is a version of https support
> that doesn't involve msvcrt?  That's a
> Windows DLL.

I have hacked up python's getpass.py to do password-prompting for Plan
9, so I can now do https authentication. I'll send the modified
getpass.py to 9fans after I've made sure it works ok. My Python-fu is
not great, so right now it just always assumes you're using Plan 9
(bad).

>> If I try with ssh instead:
>> jerq% hg -v clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/<username>/<repo>/
>> running ssh hg@bitbucket.org "hg -R <username>/<repo>/ serve --stdio"
>> abort: no suitable response from remote hg!
>
> Presumably this is because ssh is sshv1
> but bitbucket requires sshv2.

I did 'bind /bin/openssh/ssh /bin/ssh' before running this hg command,
but to no avail. I do have my public keys uploaded, so there shouldn't
be a problem there... however now that https works I don't necessarily
need the ssh support.

John
--

@ 2009-08-11 18:19 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-08-11 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM, John Floren<slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> So I'm trying to clone a private repository I just created on
> bitbucket. This is what I see:

> destination directory: <repo>
> http authorization required
> realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP
> user: <username>
> abort: could not import module msvcrt!
>
> If I try with ssh instead:
> jerq% hg -v clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/<username>/<repo>/
> running ssh hg@bitbucket.org "hg -R <username>/<repo>/ serve --stdio"
> abort: no suitable response from remote hg!
>

> Has anyone else tried this?
>
> John
> --
> "Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

On a different note, I just tried "hg pull", which was successful, but
"hg update" gives:
abort: could not import module mpatch!
(did you forget to compile extensions?)

Have I screwed up my mercurial installation in some way?

John
--

@ 2009-08-11 18:21   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2009-08-11 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

By the way, I realized that hg on Windows file systems does not like
the following files:

    bin/"
    bin/""

Clone/pull work fine.  You just can't successfully update to actually
get the bits into a working system.

-jas

@ 2009-08-11 21:13     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-08-11 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I tried re-compiling and starting over, and it seems like somewhere
along the way the updating problem went away. I've written up a quick
document about how I did things, which can be found at
/n/sources/contrib/john/hg-howto.txt. If somebody else can take a look
at it, try the procedure, and let me know how things work, that would
be great.

John

--

@ 2009-08-13  9:13   ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2009-08-13  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Presumably this is because ssh is sshv1
> but bitbucket requires sshv2.
>
> Russ

Correct me if I am wrong, but an sshv2 server is also providing sshv1
too. Maybe when the Plan 9 ssh client is facing sshv2, instead of
shutting down with an error, it should try sshv1, or wait until its
offered, i am unsure about the mechanism here. Just an idea, I am
really not an expert here.

Greetings: Béla

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-13  9:47     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-08-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:13:58 +0200
Bela Valek <bvalek2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but an sshv2 server is also providing sshv1
> too.

I vaguely remember reading that some ssh software would refuse to work
with ssh v1 by default because v1 is so insecure.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-13 10:11     ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2009-08-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/13 Bela Valek <bvalek2@gmail.com>:

>> Presumably this is because ssh is sshv1
>> but bitbucket requires sshv2.
>>
>> Russ
>>

> Correct me if I am wrong, but an sshv2 server is also providing sshv1
> too. Maybe when the Plan 9 ssh client is facing sshv2, instead of
> shutting down with an error, it should try sshv1, or wait until its
> offered, i am unsure about the mechanism here. Just an idea, I am
> really not an expert here.

OpenSSH can support v1 and v2, whether it is configured to is a local option.

man sshd_config

  :
 Protocol
             Specifies the protocol versions sshd(8) supports.  The
possible values are ‘1’ and ‘2’.   Multiple versions must be
             comma-separated.  The default is “2,1”.  Note that the
order of the protocol list does not indicate preference,
             because the client selects among multiple protocol
versions offered by the server.  Specifying “2,1” is identical
             to “1,2”.

  :

The /etc/ssh/sshd_config supplied by default with many (most?) linux
distributions seems to be configured to only allow v2.  If you're the
administrator or on good terms with the admin. you may be able to
reconfigure your SSH to allow v1 connections, otherwise get to work on
the p9 ssh v2 port.

--
Adrian

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-13 14:53       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-13 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:13:58 +0200
> Bela Valek <bvalek2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but an sshv2 server is also providing sshv1
> > too.
>
> I vaguely remember reading that some ssh software would refuse to work
> with ssh v1 by default because v1 is so insecure.

Many times you must turn v1 on, but it's available.  It's off by default due
to it being insecure.

@ 2009-08-13 15:13         ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-08-13 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/13 David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:13:58 +0200
>> Bela Valek <bvalek2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Correct me if I am wrong, but an sshv2 server is also providing sshv1
>> > too.
>>
>> I vaguely remember reading that some ssh software would refuse to work
>> with ssh v1 by default because v1 is so insecure.
>
> Many times you must turn v1 on, but it's available.  It's off by default due
> to it being insecure.

If I"m recalling correctly, SSHv1 is insecure only if the remote server is
untrusted. Or am I not recalling correctly?

--dho

@ 2009-08-13 15:31           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-08-13 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Correct me if I am wrong, but an sshv2 server is also providing sshv1 too.

When you connect to the SSH server, if it is willing to
accept version 1 or 2 it says 1.99 as its version.
If it is only willing to accept version 2, it says 2.

$ dial 'tcp!bitbucket.org!ssh'
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5

That's a 2.0-only banner on the site in question,
which is not under John's control.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-13 17:45           ` Daniel Lyons
From: Daniel Lyons @ 2009-08-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Aug 13, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> If I"m recalling correctly, SSHv1 is insecure only if the remote
> server is
> untrusted. Or am I not recalling correctly?

I believe you're correct and that server fingerprinting was introduced
in v2. I asked some friends of mine about it and they said the
principal issue is that it uses CRC for the packet checksum, which
makes it not particularly hard for a third party to inject packets
into your connection. Also, there are theoretical attacks that allow
the session key to be recovered. One of my friends also said it only
supported 3DES, but I'm not convinced that's a cryptological weakness
in and of itself, nor that designing a new protocol with plug 'n play
crypto is genius either, since I think a lot of the complexity in SSH
v2 comes from its configurability, the effect that has on connection
setup, as well as silly optional features like connection sharing and
whatnot. (I use that silly feature all the time but I don't think I
would have offered to build it into the protocol.)

—
Daniel Lyons

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-13 18:00             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-13 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i found where the 0x20 came from.  it should be 20, not 0x20.
anway, it comes from ahci:/^mkalist.  l->flags specifies that
the fis is 0x5 dwords = 20 bytes.  either i missed the explaination in
the ahci docs about why this is or it's a bit magic.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2009-08-15 12:38       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-08-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

re: /etc/ssh/sshd_config on unix to support sshv1

see: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Connecting_to_other_OSes/index.html

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2010-05-21  5:08 ` ron minnich
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-21  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> So I'm trying to clone a private repository I just created on
> bitbucket. This is what I see:

> destination directory: <repo>
> http authorization required
> realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP
> user: <username>
> abort: could not import module msvcrt!

I just hit this problem again with a clean install of the mercurial
and python from sources (and my package tool .. but I don't think it's
the problem).

ratrace helped.

115 hg Open 0x228045 0fffc1d7/"/sys/lib/python/getpass.py" 00000000 =
7 "" 0x11afa42962dc41a0 0x11afa42962dfdf68
115 hg Fstat 0x229874 00000007 00742ed4 00000071 = 66 ""
0x11afa429635fb9e0 0x11afa429636b75c8
115 hg Open 0x228045 0fffbd73/"/sys/lib/python/getpass.pyc" 00000000 =
8 "" 0x11afa42963e38040 0x11afa42963f16ea8
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 8
00fcbb48/".......Kc............@...s....d..Z..d..d..k..Z..d..d..g..Z..d..d"
4096 -0x1 = 3320 "" 0x11afa429648f9ad8 0x11afa429649bf6e8
115 hg Fstat 0x229874 00000008 00742ed4 00000071 = 67 ""
0x11afa429651731c8 0x11afa429651977d0
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 8 00fcbb48/"" 4096 -0x1 = 0 ""
0x11afa429659a2538 0x11afa429659c6370
115 hg Close 0x22aa13 8 = 0 "" 0x11afa429666099e8 0x11afa42966623be0
115 hg Brk 0x22acd6 011e7600 00394918 0022826c = 0 ""
0x11afa42967031790 0x11afa42967037550
115 hg Open 0x2288bc 00262904/"#c/pid" 00000000 = 8 ""
0x11afa42967899928 0x11afa429678a8770
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 8 0fffb4b9/"........115." 15 -0x1 = 12 ""
0x11afa42968056c60 0x11afa4296805e960
115 hg Close 0x2288f3 8 = 0 "" 0x11afa42968827818 0x11afa4296882be68
115 hg Stat 0x229730 0fffac7b 00742ed4/"��;" 00000073 = -1
"'/bin/termios' file does not exist" 0x11afa42968dfe610
0x11afa42968ef6ab8
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa42969625c80
0x11afa4296962d980
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa42969debc58
0x11afa42969df3d40
115 hg Open 0x228045 0fffac7b/"/bin/termios.py" 00000000 = -1
"'/bin/termios.py' file does not exist" 0x11afa4296a5ba100
0x11afa4296a6c2390
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296ae0d2a8
0x11afa4296ae15390
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296b5d3a50
0x11afa4296b5dbb38
115 hg Open 0x228045 0fffac7b/"/bin/termios.pyc" 00000000 = -1
"'/bin/termios.pyc' file does not exist" 0x11afa4296bda55a8
0x11afa4296bea0160
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296c3352e8
0x11afa4296c340a80
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296cb1a6c0
0x11afa4296cb25688
115 hg Stat 0x229730 0fffac7b 00742ed4/"��;" 00000073 = -1
"'/sys/lib/python/termios' does not exist" 0x11afa4296d3a4368
0x11afa4296d3d5490
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296de091a0
0x11afa4296de11288
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296e5c2e28
0x11afa4296e5caf10
115 hg Open 0x228045 0fffac7b/"/sys/lib/python/termios.py" 00000000 =
-1 "'/sys/lib/python/termios.py' does not exist" 0x11afa4296ed872a8
0x11afa4296ee4f9b0
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296f708458
0x11afa4296f710928
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4296ff17428
0x11afa4296ff1f510
115 hg Open 0x228045 0fffac7b/"/sys/lib/python/termios.pyc" 00000000 =
-1 "'/sys/lib/python/termios.pyc' does not exist" 0x11afa429706e1e38
0x11afa4297070a2c0
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa42970f163b0
0x11afa42970f22ed0
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa429716e57f8
0x11afa429716f07c0
115 hg Stat 0x229730 0fffac7b 00742ed4/"��;" 00000073 = -1
"'/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/termios' does not exist"
0x11afa42971ed6750 0x11afa429721c04e8
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa429729d4aa8
0x11afa429729dcb90
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa429732579f0
0x11afa4297325f6f0
115 hg Open 0x228045
0fffac7b/"/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/termios.py"
00000000 = -1 "'/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/termios.py'
does not exist" 0x11afa42973a3a2d0 0x11afa42973d53638
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa429742a3fc0
0x11afa429742afb40
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa42974a75b18
0x11afa42974a80ec8
115 hg Open 0x228045
0fffac7b/"/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/termios.pyc"
00000000 = -1 "'/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/termios.pyc'
does not exist" 0x11afa4297523f588 0x11afa42975328800
115 hg Errstr 0x22bd6f 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa42975cd2608
0x11afa42975cda6f0
115 hg Errstr 0x22bdc4 0x36b19c/"" 128 = 0 "" 0x11afa4297648b6d8
0x11afa429764933d8
115 hg Open 0x2288bc 00262904/"#c/pid" 00000000 = 8 ""
0x11afa42976a50b90 0x11afa42976a63858
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 8 0fffb4c1/"........115." 15 -0x1 = 12 ""
0x11afa42977216780 0x11afa429772207a8
115 hg Close 0x2288f3 8 = 0 "" 0x11afa429779d4670 0x11afa429779dafe8
115 hg Close 0x22aa13 7 = 0 "" 0x11afa42978cdcf60 0x11afa42978d8fac0
115 hg Open 0x2288bc 00262904/"#c/pid" 00000000 = 7 ""
0x11afa4297929f920 0x11afa429792abc70
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 7 0fffca1d/"........115." 15 -0x1 = 12 ""
0x11afa42979a1dc88 0x11afa42979a25988
115 hg Close 0x2288f3 7 = 0 "" 0x11afa4297a1e9638 0x11afa4297a1ee840
115 hg Open 0x2288bc 00262904/"#c/pid" 00000000 = 7 ""
0x11afa4297aa01690 0x11afa4297aa12be8
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 7 0fffc855/"........115." 15 -0x1 = 12 ""
0x11afa4297b823160 0x11afa4297b82aa78
115 hg Close 0x2288f3 7 = 0 "" 0x11afa4297bfb64b8 0x11afa4297bfbab08
115 hg Open 0x2288bc 00262904/"#c/pid" 00000000 = 7 ""
0x11afa4297c55c188 0x11afa4297c56ea68
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 7 0fffc85d/"........115." 15 -0x1 = 12 ""
0x11afa4297cd292a8 0x11afa4297cd33e88
115 hg Close 0x2288f3 7 = 0 "" 0x11afa4297d4c3b30 0x11afa4297d4c75c8
115 hg Open 0x2288bc 00262904/"#c/pid" 00000000 = 7 ""
0x11afa4297dbbecf0 0x11afa4297dbcb040
115 hg Pread 0x22b14c 7 0fffccbd/"........115." 15 -0x1 = 12 ""
0x11afa4297e3700c0 0x11afa4297e377dc0
115 hg Close 0x2288f3 7 = 0 "" 0x11afa4297eb698d0 0x11afa4297eb6d750
115 hg Stat 0x229730 0fffc47f 00742ed4/"��;" 00000073 = -1
"'/bin/msvcrt' file does not exist" 0x11afa4297f181da8
0x11afa4297f4f1010

Ow, that hurt, did it not?

Basically, it found getpass, did not find termios, then went looking
for some MS VC runtime. Yuck.

The code (getpass.py):
# Bind the name getpass to the appropriate function
try:
    import termios
    # it's possible there is an incompatible termios from the
    # McMillan Installer, make sure we have a UNIX-compatible termios
    termios.tcgetattr, termios.tcsetattr
except (ImportError, AttributeError):
    try:
        import msvcrt
    except ImportError:
        try:
            from EasyDialogs import AskPassword
        except ImportError:
            getpass = default_getpass
        else:
            getpass = AskPassword
    else:
        getpass = win_getpass
else:
    getpass = unix_getpass

Wow, that hurt too.

So, it's trying to get a password, as it is an https import, so it
pulls in getpass, which pulls in termios, and it's failing, and the
only reasonable thing to do when you can't find a unix package is to
try to use an MS VC runtime package and, when that fails, bail out
with one of the worst error messages one can imagine.

Wow, GRRoss.

Anyway, that is why you get that utterly useless error message:
because you're not unix. It just tells you that the error is that you
are not windows. Clear?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2010-05-21  5:15   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-21  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Wow, GRRoss.
>
> Anyway, that is why you get that utterly useless error message:
> because you're not unix. It just tells you that the error is that you
> are not windows. Clear?

fixing replica can't be that awful, can it?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2010-05-21  6:10   ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-05-21  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I gave you the work around 2 months ago...
the python code is broken, their default doesn't default...

echo 'getpass = default_getpass' >> /sys/lib/python/getpass.py

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2010-05-21 12:33   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2010-05-21 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:08 AM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>            from EasyDialogs import AskPassword
>        except ImportError:
>            getpass = default_getpass
>        else:
>            getpass = AskPassword
>    else:
>        getpass = win_getpass
> else:
>    getpass = unix_getpass
>
> Wow, that hurt too.
>
> So, it's trying to get a password, as it is an https import, so it
> pulls in getpass, which pulls in termios, and it's failing, and the
> only reasonable thing to do when you can't find a unix package is to
> try to use an MS VC runtime package and, when that fails, bail out
> with one of the worst error messages one can imagine.
>
> Wow, GRRoss.
>
> Anyway, that is why you get that utterly useless error message:
> because you're not unix. It just tells you that the error is that you

I think you should be able to replace getpass.py with
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/john/getpass.py; I added
plan9_getpass last summer and it seemed to work.

John
--
"With MPI, familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt and nausea. Contempt,
nausea, and fear. Contempt, nausea, fear, and .." -- Ron Minnich

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 hg with private repositories
@ 2010-05-21 14:31     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Federico G. Benavento
<benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> I gave you the work around 2 months ago...
> the python code is broken, their default doesn't default...
>
> echo 'getpass = default_getpass' >> /sys/lib/python/getpass.py

Yep, I confess: I forgot.

I was more trying to test what goes wrong with a clean install, and
had forgotten the fix!

that's kind of a heavy duty fix ... is there one that is simpler somehow?

ron