if one wants to retry connecting he can. not being able to make a network connection is a very common case so i guess it would be ok to simply let it fail on this point instead of hanging and waiting. rebooting sounds like a little bit too drastic for me. expecially if it is about icmp sockets. devip just has too less context to make a good decision. the comment above the panic call also hinted that it was ment as some kind of a bet or a debugging leftover so it felt save to remove it :) anyway. the patch may or may not get applied or someone comes up with a better solution. creating it was just a matter of seconds and i apologize for blocking the patch tu^W^Wqueue if it caused any inconvinience. :) -- panic("me is a boofhead");