* Re: [9fans] Troff macro package for patents
@ 2007-06-08  4:46 dmr
From: dmr @ 2007-06-08  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

   I think Dennis was talking about an earlier program, not troff.
   Troff does do line numbering in that style, using .nm and .nn.

I should have been clearer.  The program was just roff,
as mentioned in the 1st edition manual.  I don't have
(and don't actually remember) the "separate reference" for
roff the man page promises.

 Dennis

* Re: [9fans] Troff macro package for patents
@ 2007-06-08  0:35 dmr
From: dmr @ 2007-06-08  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

   It is known that (t)roff has been used to format patent applications,
   but I wonder: Are there any
   macros available for that specific task? All patents look the same, so
   I figure that macros or
   some kind of template would be great.

   / G.A.

The patent typing time well antedated even nroff, and I don't
remember what primitive macros were used.  The main thing Ossanna
did was to add two built-ins, .jo1 and .jo2; the first would produce line
numbering as needed in the description part
(number each successive line as on the page), while
the second would start restart the numbering at each new
claim.

Could have been done with macros later.

  Dennis