@Nemo Ok, I just want start with a very easy constellation: 1.) I installed octopus on top of my MacMini (newest version) at my televison in living room, he running also Mac-Server 2.) I got the terminal started at an older MacBook 3.) I have a HP Envy 100 WLAN Inkjet printer / Scanner integrated in WLAN, working at all my Macs 4.) Now I want to write a limbo program to print a page at that printer As I understand you, I cannot nativly run it by the P9 idea of device = file ... because the HP printer itself has no firmware to support such file based streaming, right? Therefore I need root through to mac a Mac sytem call to can adress the printer. As I understand, this is NOT the idea of a good Plan 9 / Limbo program? In my understanding: If I now write a small program that prints out for example a list of addresses, I need communicate with my printer in a streaming way and not by system calls, right? If I'm wrong, could you explain me, how I get my printer working. And, if it is to difficult with this HP printer and the system only can support old Epson ESC/P code for needle printer, just exlain me how I get that ESC/P printer working in the "Plan 9 ressource way"? For me it is most important that I can realize what is promised from that operting system according "all resources, also devices are a file" and that this idea is more than a theory! You understand what I ask? - Chris