From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] INVESTMENT & ASSISTANCE
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:28:52 -0400	[thread overview]

I agree, the spammers have won.

> As a first approximation, we could set the 9fans list so that only
> subscribers can post, but that would probably break the usenet gateway.

I agree that if we need to, that's a reasonable possibility.  I do it
with personal mail and it works quite well for me.  No spammer has
taken the trouble to add themselves to my list and no friend, no matter
how computer fearful, has failed to do it.  How does the
usenet gateway work?  Could we just add anything that comes from
it despite a subscriber filter?

We could also go to a moderator that cuts out obvious spam
but who has the time.

However, given the low rate of spammers we currently have, I
suggest just ignoring the problem for now and hitting 'd'
or whatever a few times a week.  We'll have plenty of motivation
to do something if things get noisier.