* [9fans] configuring ipv6
@ 2006-10-04 23:22 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-10-04 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I tried the obvious

   ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 2002:ccf4:e05d:1::42 ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::

which provokes the response

   ipconfig: write(add 2002:ccf4:e05d:1::42 ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::):
 		interface does not support multicast

If I execute that ipconfig a second time the machine locks up solid
(pccpuf kernel).  The interface is already running ipv4, FWIW.

What's the magic dance to make ipv6 go?

* Re: [9fans] configuring ipv6
@ 2006-10-04 23:28 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-10-04 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You need an interface that can do multicast and a driver that can
enable it.  I thought I'd tweaked all the drivers for cards that
weren't incredibly old to enable multicast.  What card do you have?

* Re: [9fans] configuring ipv6
@ 2006-10-05  2:32   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-10-05  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You need an interface that can do multicast and a driver that can
> enable it.  I thought I'd tweaked all the drivers for cards that
> weren't incredibly old to enable multicast.  What card do you have?

I'm pretty sure it's an 8139. (The box is at work, and I'm not.)

* Re: [9fans] configuring ipv6
@ 2006-10-05 15:57     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-10-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The 8139 was one of the chips I skipped, hoping that no one would use
it for IPv6.  It's possible to have the multicast entry point just set
promiscuous mode, as some cost in CPU time, as is done in the i82557
driver.

I just did a quick scan of the ether drivers.  It looks like the
Realteks need an entry point in each driver and possibly some work to
make multicast smarter than promiscuous mode.  The Netgear GA620
driver may just need an entry point.  ethervbge.c just needs an entry
point.  I'll add the entry points at least and push out new drivers.

* Re: [9fans] configuring ipv6
@ 2006-10-05 18:13       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-10-05 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'll add the entry points at least and push out new drivers.

Thanks. Functionality wins over efficiency :-)

* Re: [9fans] configuring ipv6
@ 2006-10-05 18:22         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-10-05 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not even sure that there's much of an efficiency difference any
more.  In a modern wired Ethernet, with each machine on its own switch
port, you should only see unicast traffic destined for you, multicast
traffic and broadcast traffic.  Perhaps on wireless networks there
would be a non-trivial difference.