* [9fans] which Plan 9 am I running?
@ 2021-02-10 21:18 pouya+lists.9fans
From: pouya+lists.9fans @ 2021-02-10 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am very grateful for Richard Miller's ready-made 9pi image.

When I first got to know about Plan 9 many years ago, there was only a
single distribution of it I believe.

I had assumed I was running something close to that distribution, with
an updated kernel, but I have since been pleasantly surprised by some
new additions, such as Go, an rc git client, etc. included in this
image.

I have also read up a bit on 9legacy, 9front, etc.

I wonder now which, if any, of these I am running.

Pouya

* Re: [9fans] which Plan 9 am I running?
@ 2021-02-10 21:59 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-02-10 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am very grateful for Richard Miller's ready-made 9pi image.
> I have also read up a bit on 9legacy, 9front, etc.
>
> I wonder now which, if any, of these I am running.

Good question.

The 9pi image started out as pure Bell Labs 4th edition in
a ready-to-use form for the Raspberry Pi. Over the years the
kernel and usb drivers have evolved to keep up with subsequent
Pi hardware development. Outside the kernel I've applied some
patches, from /n/sources/patch and a few from 9legacy and 9front,
which I considered essential for usability. (The measure of
usability includes being able to run a plan9-arm Go builder.)
It's still closer to 4th edition than to any of the other versions.