* RE: [9fans] suicidal flchk
@ 2003-11-21 17:32 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-11-21 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>how big is the disk?  how much space is in use?
>perhaps it's small enough to transfer over
>the network?

It's an ~ 300M windows vmware image, basically
very much still an 7th oct. bleeding edge install.

I can send the entire machine if there's enough
room somewhere. It zips to about 90M.

Tiit

* Re: [9fans] suicidal flchk
@ 2003-11-21 15:32 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-11-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> And on startup it dies with
>
> init: starting /bin/rc
> cacheLocalData: addr=36846 type got 16 exp 0: tag got 0 exp 142e41e4
> fossil 24: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0002b5f5
>
> Any ideas how to remedy?

I've been there, my condolences...  Only reasonable solution I found
was to reinitialize from a venti score.  Otherwise the machine just
won't boot.

If you have a recent venti score and a bootable CD you won't need a
second hard drive to do it -- boot from the CD, run 'ramfs' and create
a venti description file that will start your venti partition proper.
Once you've started venti you can just run fossil/fmfmt -v 'venti
score'.

If your CD (like mine) is old and doesn't have the fossil binaries you
can run 9fs sources and use the latest ones from Bell Labs.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] suicidal flchk
@ 2003-11-21 15:11   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-11-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > And on startup it dies with
> >
> > init: starting /bin/rc
> > cacheLocalData: addr=36846 type got 16 exp 0: tag got 0 exp 142e41e4
> > fossil 24: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0002b5f5
> >
> > Any ideas how to remedy?
>
> I've been there, my condolences...  Only reasonable solution I found
> was to reinitialize from a venti score.  Otherwise the machine just
> won't boot.

please don't.  i'd really like to get enough information
to find this bug.

you can boot from a plan 9 cd in order
to poke around.

how big is the disk?  how much space is in use?
perhaps it's small enough to transfer over
the network?

* [9fans] suicidal flchk
@ 2003-11-21 11:36 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-11-21 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Somehow I've managed to mess up my fossil:

term% fossil/flchk -f /dev/sdC0/fossil
chkEpoch 1
cacheLocalData: addr=37810 type got 0 exp 0: tag got 1e39f3f4 exp 13c112e5
flchk 204: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0001a119

And on startup it dies with

init: starting /bin/rc
cacheLocalData: addr=36846 type got 16 exp 0: tag got 0 exp 142e41e4
fossil 24: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x0002b5f5

Any ideas how to remedy?

Titi