* [9fans] Trouble connecting to and/or bringing up auth server
@ 2003-01-16  9:47 Will
From: Will @ 2003-01-16  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm new to Plan 9 and have been working on bringing up a CPU server
that also runs as an auth server.

This is all under VMWare, althought that doesn't seem to be causing a
problem.

CPU server kernel successfully built following the docs in the the
wiki. Net configured following the docs in the wiki as well.

Using two (virtual) machines one configured as a terminal, the other
as cpu and auth server.

IP addresses are fixed and domain name resolution seems OK. Telnet and
ftp work fine other machines, that is, linux and windows.

On the cpu machine, auth commands, e.g. changeuser, wrkey, etc seem to
execute OK and show messages in the log. I do have warnings in the
auth log about keyfs starting.

Examination of /net/il and /net/tcp shows ports 566 and 567
respectively in listen mode.

The optional parameter on ip/ipconfig was used in cpurc and termrc on
the respective machines to set the address of the auth server and
verified in /net/ndb.

auth/wrkey was used to set, as I understand it, the auth domain to
willnet.

Upon issuing the cpu command on the terminal the following message
returned:
cpu: can't authenticate: glenda: auth_proxy rpc write: <black square
here>bootes: no auth server found for willnet

Upon issuing a telnet to the cpu machine to following message was
returned:
authentication failure: auth server protocol botch

glenda really is the cpu machine. bootes really is the authid used in
the wrkey command.

Folks, I'm sure I've screwed up something simple and probably don't
clearly understand the ins and outs of the setup. It seems like it's
almost there and just needs a tweak or two.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Will

* Re: [9fans] Trouble connecting to and/or bringing up auth server
@ 2003-01-16 10:35 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-01-16 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cpu: can't authenticate: glenda: auth_proxy rpc write: <black square
> here>bootes: no auth server found for willnet

Did you update your /lib/ndb to specify the auth entry?

* Re: [9fans] Trouble connecting to and/or bringing up auth server
@ 2003-01-17 14:41   ` Will
From: Will @ 2003-01-17 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Did you update your /lib/ndb to specify the auth entry?

Yes, and I have made a bit of progress, but some things remain
unclear. One thing I had missed was setting authdom in /lib/ndb/local
on each machine. The current situation is:

Reboot the cpu/auth server.

Reboot the terminal. During the reboot, when prompted for a user name,
any will do; it just trips up on not having directories, etc. if you
give it user that hasn't had the disk/kfscmd 'newuser ...' run on it.
It doesn't seem in touch with the auth server. Does that sound right?
Should it be?

Once the terminal is up, auth/login and telnet (to the cpu machine)
will fail giving a message that seems to indicate that it doesn't know
the auth domain and is doesn't have a key (I don't have the text
(sorry) at the moment, and I've got to actullay get to work here).
Should, in fact, auth/login and telnet work at this point?

Next, trying the cpu command at this point will elicit a little
message about adding a key or something and fail with the message I
wrote in my first posting.

Then, lo and behold, if I try auth/login or telnet they work!

And after a successful auth/login, the cpu command works! So, does one
have to auth/login before cpu will work in all cases?

I don't quite get the relationship between the commands and need to do
some more reading.

Thanks,
Will Collum