From: "Eric Smith" <esmithmail@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] LPL Section 3C
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:53:05 -0500	[thread overview]

Personally, the only time I read those is for entertainment.

But the way I see it, those licenses are for lawyers to write and
lawyers to read -- something to keep them busy.  After all, the United
States has 6% of the world's population but 70% of the world's
lawyers.  They need _something_ to do.

But these licenses aren't intended for anyone else (the way I see it)
-- it's like this:  if it's posted on the web, freely downloadable
without paying, then it's yours to have and do with as you please.

If someone doesn't want you to have it then they shouldn't have posted it.

In the case of your submissions, if someone doesn't want it they don't
have to take it.  How can they expect you to know how to apply that
legalese license to your work when you are not a lawyer?

How could anyone (you, me, anyone else) be expected to read one line
of a license unless they are a mouthpiece?  In a court of law I would
just say, "I don't know -- it's not written in English".

Just ignore them all.