Hello, Afaik plan9ports main target is make a plan9-like environment on unix clones to develop in the same way plan9. And to make a program work in plan9 and unix without modifications. I think that is the reason of that extra-abstraction you mention. may be i'm wrong, so wait for Russ comment :) gabi 2005/8/10, Anselm R. Garbe : > > On 8/10/05, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote: > > > It doesn't depends on mk, because in my eyes the mk-based build chain > > > in p9p is rather complex. > > > > see an optometrist ☺ > > I don't need to, nothing wrong with my eyes. Just have a look into > bin/9* and I ask why this extra-abstraction is needed... Then see > src/mk* - pretty much stuff, isn't one general inclusion sufficient? > Why are shell scripts (like INSTALL), make and mk needed? Isn't make > for bootstrapping enough and afterwards only mk? > > I didn't said that the system is bad, but it can be done simplier. For > the monolithic character, the main reason to me is, that all headers > reside in $PLAN9/include, which could be done in two places, that it > is easier to just have a bunch of independent libs with their headers > and a central place (poorly there is no union mount in *NIX) where all > headers get together... Currently it is very much effort to determine > which headers are needed/provided by which lib in src/lib*... > > Regards, > -- > Anselm R. Garbe ><>< www.ebrag.de ><>< GPG key: > 0D73F361 >