* [9fans] problem resizing windows in 1600x1200 with gforce 2
@ 2006-02-25 20:54 Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-02-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

I have problems when resizing rio windows at 1600x1200x32
using a 32 MB Nvidia GForce 2. I can make big windows just
after start rio, but later i only can resize them to lower sizes.

just after start i can make a full screen window, but i cannot hide it,
only make it smaller. if i delete it and create a new one, this new one
cannot be the full screen size, it just isn't created, as if the mouse
event was never produced.

I'm on a cpu kernel ( not sure if that could be an issue).

any ideas if this can be "solved" ?

thanks

gabi

PD i didn't test vesa yet

* Re: [9fans] problem resizing windows in 1600x1200 with gforce 2
@ 2006-02-25 21:04 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-25 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm on a cpu kernel ( not sure if that could be an issue).

the cpu kernel does not reserve as much memory for
the kernel, and so you are running out of kernel memory
in which to hold your windows.  try putting something like

*kernelpercent=40

in your plan9.ini

russ

* Re: [9fans] problem resizing windows in 1600x1200 with gforce 2
@ 2006-03-05  9:40   ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-03-05  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

This didn't work (or it seems that).

i suppose the comment around /sys/src/9/pc/main.c:445 has something
to do with this :-?

i removed the condition but the line printing the memory status of
/sys/src/9/port/page.c
always give the kernel data 90 MB it doesn't matter what kernelpercent
value is. (it should change with kernelpercent? )

i will test again if i can hide/restore the big windows in a regular basis.

thanks

gabi