* [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup
@ 2006-12-11 21:18 Gabriel Diaz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-12-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

I'm trying to avoid starting more than one upasfs with my user, so i
use this on my profile:

plumber
if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){
mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
}
if not {
upas/fs -s
mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
}
rio starts

seems that when i log on, upasfs is correctly mounted, and faces gets
filled with the email messages.

But when i delete one message (clicking on faces raise a mail window
with the correct message if it exists) or when a new message arrives,
faces doesn't get updated.

upasfs is already mounted on some other session (actually the host
owner console), and on that session, faces get updated normally.

what i'm missing? should i kill all my upasfs or faces on each logon?

thanks

gabi

* Re: [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup
@ 2006-12-11 21:35 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-12-11 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think the problm is that you have two copies of the plumber.

faces(1) sends events to "showmail" which causes the plumber to start
nedmail to view your messages. faces also listens to the plumbers
"seemail" port - and is usually sent messages by upas/fs when new mail
arrives or mail is deleted.

The problems is that upas/fs that runs on your console (I assume you mean
the physical VGA screen and keyboard) is talking to a different plumber to
the one your faces is listening to (on a cpu/drawterm connection).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup
@ 2006-12-11 21:38 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-12-11 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

acme mail under the same conditions has the same behavior. my guess
is that upasfs deals with /mnt/plumb in the name space it was
invoked in (i.e. the plumber that started before upas/fs was started).
so maybe

if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){
mount /srv/plumb4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
}
if not {
upas/fs -s
plumber
srvfs plumber4upas.$user /mnt/plumb

@ 2006-12-11 21:40 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-12-11 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(posting again with a slight change. i had the order of plumber/upasfs wrong)

@ 2006-12-11 22:09   ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-12-11 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

oh!! thanks, i don't know why i was expecting some magic to happen :-)

gabi

@ 2006-12-11 22:09 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-11 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9nut, 9fans

i have seen variations on this problem in a number of situations.
even when mounting the sam upas/fs after posting to /srv, faces
and upas/nedmail don't play nicely under drawterm for me.  the faces
display properly and reflect the contents of the mailbox, but
clicking on the face yields "message disappeared".

i suspect there is something causing the path to the message to be
malformed or misparsed in the plumbing messages generated by upas/fs.

- erik