* [9fans] acid
@ 2006-09-14 19:45 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-09-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would be interested in a copy of tad hunt's acid tutorial,
I am often exasperated by my lack of skill with acid and would
like to learn more (tricks).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] acid
@ 2006-09-14 19:52 ` Tad Hunt
From: Tad Hunt @ 2006-09-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was never particularly good at using acid.  Also, from what I remember
that document may have been geared toward debugging inferno kernels
compiled with remote-debugging support, but I could also be remembering
a different document...

I don't have a copy of the tutorial, but someone @ Vita should, or
someone still at Lucent might be able to find it on the worm.

-Tad

Steve Simon wrote:
> I would be interested in a copy of tad hunt's acid tutorial,
> I am often exasperated by my lack of skill with acid and would
> like to learn more (tricks).
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] acid
@ 2006-09-14 20:03 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-09-14 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I would be interested in a copy of tad hunt's acid tutorial,
> I am often exasperated by my lack of skill with acid and would
> like to learn more (tricks).

compiler's -a flag generates what is needed for 'acid -l' and
it is educational.

* Re: [9fans] acid
@ 2006-09-14 21:54   ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2006-09-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Tad,

Yes, it is geared towards debugging native inferno. But what I liked
in your paper is it gives a simple introduction on using it offline
first to get a feel and then goes on to deal with debugging native
inferno. The paper can be used alongwith other materials on acid.

I found the paper in /doc directory in Inferno release.

Thanks
dharani

On 9/14/06, Tad Hunt <tad@entrisphere.com> wrote:
> I was never particularly good at using acid.  Also, from what I remember
> that document may have been geared toward debugging inferno kernels
> compiled with remote-debugging support, but I could also be remembering
> a different document...
>
> I don't have a copy of the tutorial, but someone @ Vita should, or
> someone still at Lucent might be able to find it on the worm.
>
> -Tad
>
> Steve Simon wrote:
> > I would be interested in a copy of tad hunt's acid tutorial,
> > I am often exasperated by my lack of skill with acid and would
> > like to learn more (tricks).
> >
> > -Steve

* [9fans] acid
@ 2002-01-09 15:31 rog
From: rog @ 2002-01-09 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am debugger-shy at best, ACID looks wonderful, but hard
> to wrap one's old-fashioned mind around

the main problem with acid, IMO, is that it doesn't understand pointer
data types properly, which means that inspecting data structures of
programs you're not overly familiar with is somewhat laborious and
error-prone.