I used CTSS in the 1971/72, my first year at MIT. They gave undergrads spare time accounts on any systems there. It was at the end of its life, was way overloaded, and ran on a 7094 that stuck around for quite a few years later. It didn't have a hierarchical file system per se. Just a single level of directories. I can't remember how you named an other user's directory or even the system one. Multics fixed that and added much more. So, I went to see what I could find on the web... http://larch-www.lcs.mit.edu:8001/~corbato/turing91 is a nice read.