* [9fans] printer daemon
@ 2006-03-25 18:29 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2006-03-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anyone got a parallel port printer working with spooler and
accessible via lpdaemon?  Could you give me a hint for an entry in the
devices file?

I have a Laserjet attached to the CPU servers parallel port.  I only
had got it printing without spooler and daemon two years ago with that
entry in /sys/lib/lp/devices:

laserjet -	- /dev/lpt1data - gs!ljet4+nohead	 generic  nospool -	- - -

I need to print from a NetBSD machine, now.

I read through /sys/lib/lp/* for hours but I'm far from understanding
what spooler, daemon, kill and stat scripts I should use to get the
printer accessible by BSD's lpr or if it's possible at all.  I also
hadn't success by stupidly trying different settings.  ;-) (The tcp515
listener is running).

Heiko

P.S.:
Printing from a Plan 9 Terminal never was a problem (importing the
devices of the CPU server).  The workaround for printing from NetBSD
is at the moment: A listener just calling /bin/lp on the CPU server
and catting the document files into 'netpipes' on the Unix machine.

* Re: [9fans] printer daemon
@ 2006-03-26 11:00 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-03-26 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is what I use to access a postscript
LaserJet via a JetDirect Ethernet module.

In /sys/lib/lp/devices:

	slp_a3 SLP_A3 slp-oh-a3 A3_LPQ  -  post+duplex+nohead  generic  lpdspool  lpd  -  - FIFO

I also have a line in my /lib/ndb/local of the form:

	sys=slp-oh-a3 ip=172.19.73.14

And in my $home/lib/profile:

	LPDEST=slp_a3

-Steve