* [9fans] Installer problems
@ 2006-02-24  3:03 Jason Lash
From: Jason Lash @ 2006-02-24  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am having problems with the installer. I am trying to install under
Xen with a 1gb virtual machine. The system boots up. I can manually
use disk/mbr to install the mbr manually. I can also use disk/fdisk to
delete the trash partitions it makes up and add a new one, make it
primary, and write it out. I think prep and format are also working,
but i haven't gotten far enough to understand if this is right or not.
Keep in mind I am doing all this manually from the installer shell.

"Why on earth would a newbie do that?!!?", you ask? Well, I tried
using inst/textonly at first. I was able to select my format and move
on to the partition portion with no problems. It shown my 2 drives:
sd00 (cd rom) sd01 (my 1gb virtual disk).  I select sd01, and it warns
that I have no mbr. Would i like to write an mbr? Sure, why not. Next,
it says fdisk can't find the mbr on sd01.... rinse, repeat, cry. If i
say 'no' to the mbr installation prompt, i still get the same error
from fdisk (who woulda guessed?)

I also tried manually installing the mbr before starting
inst/textonly. This gave the same result.

So I have 2 questions:
1) the obvious: Whats going wrong and how can i fix it?
2) What are all the steps required to manually install from the shell?
I've gotten the mbr install, the fdisk partitioning, now i'm stuck at
the options for parm and format.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason