* [9fans] what are people using for IRC these days
@ 2013-03-15 22:12 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2013-03-15 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So, while my IRC bouncer runs on my Plan 9 server, I've been
connecting to it using Linux and Windows clients. Now that I've got my
rpi set up with a nice monitor and everything, I'm looking at IRC on
Plan 9 again.

What clients are people using these days? I remember using something
in Acme that posted a file in /srv, supported multiple channels, etc.,
but also tended to gobble up a lot of cpu time when I'd start a new
instance of the client. Server authentication would be useful for
authenticating to my bouncer too.

john

* Re: [9fans] what are people using for IRC these days
@ 2013-03-15 23:12 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2013-03-15 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM, John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:
> So, while my IRC bouncer runs on my Plan 9 server, I've been
> connecting to it using Linux and Windows clients. Now that I've got my
> rpi set up with a nice monitor and everything, I'm looking at IRC on
> Plan 9 again.
>
> What clients are people using these days? I remember using something
> in Acme that posted a file in /srv, supported multiple channels, etc.,
> but also tended to gobble up a lot of cpu time when I'd start a new
> instance of the client. Server authentication would be useful for
> authenticating to my bouncer too.
>

> john

I use irc7.

* Re: [9fans] what are people using for IRC these days
@ 2013-03-16  1:42 ` a
From: a @ 2013-03-16  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It sounds like you're describing irc7. There's also an irc7.2, which
is some cosmetic changes, plus factotum authentication. I usually
use the ircsrv from irc7.2 (which does the factotum bit, talks the
irc protocol, creates a /tmp and /srv file, and sits in the background)
and the irc from irc7 (which handles the UI, and i'm not terribly fond
of the irc7.2 cosmetic changes). Just a few days ago, in response
to someone else asking the same thing, I but my hybrid up at:

	/n/sources/contrib/anothy/src/cmd/irc7a

I keep wanting to make more changes (mostly, which side of the
ircsrv/irc split timestamps happen on), but haven't gotten around to
it. If I do, they'll go there.

Anthony