* Re: [9fans] Install 4th ed on a Thinkpad T21?
@ 2002-04-30 15:12 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-04-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No such trouble on my T21.  The next message I see after #Y0,#Y1 is

#l0: i82557: 10Mbps port 0x1800 ...

So perhaps your ethernet adapter is the problem - I have the Intel
mini-PCI combi card.  Try commenting out the ether0=type==elnk3 line.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] Install 4th ed on a Thinkpad T21?
@ 2002-05-22  8:52 ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2002-05-22  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    Richard> No such trouble on my T21.  The next message I see after
    Richard> #Y0,#Y1 is #l0: i82557: 10Mbps port 0x1800 ...

    Richard> So perhaps your ethernet adapter is the problem - I have
    Richard> the Intel mini-PCI combi card.  Try commenting out the
    Richard> ether0=type==elnk3 line.

After much fiddling about and suggestions from a number of people, I'm
now in a position where I've managed to boot an install floppy on the
T21, but only by disabling usb and ethernet.  I've partitioned the
disk and got to the point where I need to access the network, since
without the network I can't access the install image.  The machine has
no FAT partition.  Below is the plan9.ini that I'm using.

*nomp=1
distname=plan9
partition=new
nobootprompt=local!/bzroot
#console=0
*noetherprobe=1
*nousbprobe=1
#pccard0=disabled
#ether0=type=589E media=10BaseT
monitor=xga
vgasize=1024x768x8
mouseport=ps2
bootfile=fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz
installurl=http://10.0.0.1/

Any further suggestions on how to get any further along on the
Thinkpad?

        Adrian

Adrian Tritschler    mailto:Adrian.Tritschler@its.monash.edu.au

* Re: [9fans] Install 4th ed on a Thinkpad T21?
@ 2002-05-01  9:01   ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-05-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you might try going into the thinkpad bios and disabling everything
> you don't need, i had simalar problems w/ the 3rd ed. on a t21 till
> i did that.

werd, lots of my laptops seem to have issues with port address
clashing. My solution was to disable the less desirable device
and go on with what I had, however, thanks to plan9.ini's new
ioexclude= attribute u might be able to get around this. I'm
not sure if drivers will react to these changes, but, it
might be worth a shot. If one device is forced to not use a
port range does it know to distribute the functionality to
another range? Is this what OSs like Windows do? Anyways, a
range that seems to be consistantly clashing between audio
and pcmcia is 0x300-0x301.
Good luck
Don

* Re: [9fans] Install 4th ed on a Thinkpad T21?
@ 2002-04-30 13:30 ` Dean Prichard
From: Dean Prichard @ 2002-04-30 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: Adrian.Tritschler

@ 2002-04-30 13:01 Peter Bosch
From: Peter Bosch @ 2002-04-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have tried a few times to boot the install floppy on an IBM Thinkpad
> T21, it gets part-way through the boot sequence and then stops.
>
> The last two message on the screen are:
>
> #Y0: TI PCI-1450 Cardbus Controller, 50000000 intl 11
> #Y1: TI PCI-1450 Cardbus Controller, 50100000 intl 11
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, or a working plan9.ini that I can
> use to install plan9 on this machine?
>
> This is the one that is provided when I downloaded the OS.

I have had mixed success supporting TI cardbus controllers.  You
may want to add pcmcia0= to your plan9.ini to use the legacy PCMCIA
driver.    I never had problems using the cardbus on my TP X21 with a
Ricoh cardbus controller.

peter.

* [9fans] Install 4th ed on a Thinkpad T21?
@ 2002-04-30  9:35 Adrian Tritschler