From: smiley@icebubble.org
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Killing venti
Date: Fri,  6 Jan 2012 17:20:48 +0000	[thread overview]

David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com> writes:

> venti/sync calls vtsync which is documented in venti-client(2).

Yeah, the Venti request is documented.  The utility venti/sync isn't.
Neither are venti/mirrorarenas, venti/dump, etc.  For those, you have to
read^H^H^H^H decipher the source.

Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> writes:

> Honestly, you don't even have to run venti/sync.
> Every command that writes to venti ends by doing
> a sync.

It would be nice if that worked.  However, it has not been my
experience.  As noted earlier in the thread, when I killall -TERM venti
without venti/sinc, I lost data.  Keep in mind this is p9p.

> run them.  The icache in particular can take a long time to
> flush, and venti will recover the entries (in less time than
> the flush would have taken) the next time it starts.

Recover them?  I thought the index was supposed to index all clumps in
the arenas.  How would venti know, on startup, if its index is
incomplete?  Posed differently, how could venti know which index entries
are missing, without rebuilding the entire index?

It could very well be that my data was actually written to the arena,
but just not indexed (or not yet "recovered" by the time I asked for
it).

|Smiley       <smiley@icebubble.org>    PGP key ID:    BC549F8B |
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|