* Re: [9fans] line wrapping
@ 2011-01-21  5:52 smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-01-21  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(Following up on a thread of the same subject discussed in Feb 2006...)

One other thing that's presently driving me batty is the line wrapping
in wikifs.  When I save a file to wikifs with lines longer than about 70
characters, wikifs tries to fill and word-wrap those paragraphs.
Unfortunately, when these paragraphs contain really long words (like
URLs), it wraps these lines incorrectly.

Here's an example:

--------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

It would be advisable also to at least read the [list of other Plan 9 documentation | http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Documentation/] on the Plan 9 Wiki, including a [list of recommended reading | http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Recommended_Readings/index.html] (recommended by someone, I suppose...).

--------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

When I save that to wikifs, it becomes:

--------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

It would be advisable also to at least read the [list of other Plan
9 documentation |
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Documentation/] on the Plan 9
Wiki, including a [list of recommended reading |
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Recommended_Readings/index.html] (recommended by someone, I suppose...).

--------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

If I pass the exact same text to "fmt", however, it becomes:

--------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

It would be advisable also to at least read the [list of other Plan 9
documentation | http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Documentation/]
on the Plan 9 Wiki, including a [list of recommended reading |
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Recommended_Readings/index.html]
(recommended by someone, I suppose...).

--------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

which is so much prettier.  :)

So, I typed "|fmt" into my tagline and tried pre-fmt'ing all my long
lines, in hopes that wikifs would then leave them alone.  Alas, wikifs
still insists on collecting my nicely wrapped text and mangling it in
creative ways.  (Shouldn't that "(recommended...)" be on a new line?)

I read wikifs(4).  However, it didn't make any mention of word wrapping
its content.  (Which baffled me, at first.)  I'm pretty sure it's wikifs
(not Acme) doing the wrapping, because I checked the files in the "d"
directory and they were word-wrapped.  Of course, it could be the Acme
Wiki "plugin" (proper terminology?) doing the wrapping, but I suspect
it's wikifs.  The long lines appear to remain unwrapped in Acme until
the file is read back in from wikifs.

Is there a way to turn off line wrapping in wikifs?

Any help (or workarounds!) would be greatly appreciated!

(If anyone responds with this information, I'll make sure it gets posted
on the wiki for others to find.  Thanks!)

|E-Mail: smiley@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-01-21  5:52 UTC | newest]