* [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 14:08 Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2005-11-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good day.

As spreaded on IRC:

	http://www.plan9linux.com

The owner uses "Plan 9" as "All Rights Reserved", but in the small logos
at Bell Labs, with "Powered by Plan 9", is a small Trademark sign behind
"Plan 9".

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 15:15 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2005-11-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Good day.
>
> As spreaded on IRC:
>
> 	http://www.plan9linux.com
>
> The owner uses "Plan 9" as "All Rights Reserved", but in the small logos
> at Bell Labs, with "Powered by Plan 9", is a small Trademark sign behind
> "Plan 9".
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph
>
> .

Wow.  At first I thought this was Linux with some Plan 9-like
extensions, but now it appears that this guy merely took the Plan 9 name
and slapped it on his distro because it sounds cool.  I assume somebody
will be emailing him to stop?

John
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
Why don't you ever enter any CONTESTS, Marvin??  Don't you know your

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 15:18   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-11-08 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Wow.  At first I thought this was Linux with some Plan 9-like
> extensions, but now it appears that this guy merely took the Plan 9 name
> and slapped it on his distro because it sounds cool.  I assume somebody
> will be emailing him to stop?

I emailed him.  We'll see what happens.  For those who are curious,
Plan 9 really is a registered trademark of Bell Labs:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=registration&entry=2065577&action=Request+Status

Russ

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 19:37     ` Crossfire
From: Crossfire @ 2005-11-08 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox was once rumoured to have said:
> > Wow.  At first I thought this was Linux with some Plan 9-like
> > extensions, but now it appears that this guy merely took the Plan 9 name
> > and slapped it on his distro because it sounds cool.  I assume somebody
> > will be emailing him to stop?
>
> I emailed him.  We'll see what happens.  For those who are curious,
> Plan 9 really is a registered trademark of Bell Labs:
> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=registration&entry=2065577&action=Request+Status

That logo he uses next to 'plan9' is also a registered trademark of
Canonincal (the company that 'owns' ubuntu).
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=j0fv6t.6.5

C.

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 19:45       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-11-08 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this gem surely will make it in the fortunes:

"Plan 9 comes with everything from a web browser and an IM client, to
multimedia software and an office suite."

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 20:09         ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-11-08 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Plan 9 comes with everything from a web browser and an IM client, to
multimedia software and an office suite."

that should be added to plan9.bell-labs.com with a footnote
indicating that plan 9 in ambigious and may refer to something
other than bell labs' plan 9, written in 3 pt. type in Anglo-Saxon.
(Unicode is neat!)  :)

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 23:16   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2005-11-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2005/11/8, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>:
> "To understand the power of Linux you need not look any further than
> the fastest super computer in the world, Blue Gene, which happens to
> use Linux as its operating system. Linux is also the backbone of the
> internet as the Apache webserver accounts for 60% of the world wide
> web and runs primarily on Linux and BSD."

I like how they duck out of this statistic. The majority of the 60% of
Apache servers running Linux or BSD, are BSD.

> thank you! i'll be here all week!

Tell a couple more, I could use the laughs :)

--D

* Re: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 21:48 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-11-08 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

and now for something completely different: "a man with.." err,
"selected quotes from the manual"

"Linux by itself is a text based system with few applications. It is
reminiscent of DOS, but with multi-tasking, multi-user, hyperthreading
capabilities, and more. But, such a system by itself can be very
intimidating (and of limited use), which is why it is commonly
referred to as GNU/Linux."

"Linux is just a kernel (the core of your operating), but by including
GNU/Linux you achieve a complete system. For simplicity sake though,
GNU/Linux is often referred to as just Linux and this book will often
acquiesce to that commonly accepted standard."

@ 2005-11-08 20:37 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2005-11-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hear Sean Parsons talk about it; it appears it was done on purpose.

go to:

http://odeo.com/audio/234091/view

advance the playtime to 6:30 and listen for about 1 minute.

* RE: [9fans] "Plan 9 Linux"
@ 2005-11-08 15:23 Trickey, Howard W (Howard)
From: Trickey, Howard W (Howard) @ 2005-11-08 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've brought this to the attention of our lawyers.  I don't know yet what they'll do about it, if anything.

- Howard Trickey