* [9fans] Inferno (native)
       [not found] <1411119258.4897563.1457354335571.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-03-07 12:38 ` G B
From: G B @ 2016-03-07 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Following the steps in the book "Principles of Operating Systems: Design and Applications" I was able to build a native Inferno .iso image from a FreeBSD 9.3 i386 hosted Inferno.
I've booted the Inferno .iso successfully in VirtualBox and get a shell, however it isn't complete, e.g., no Limbo, 8c, 8l, acme, sam or other tools and utilities are available like they are in the hosted Inferno build.
This is what I use to create the image:
   - In os/boot/pc in the Inferno tree, issue the command"mk pbs.install 9load.install" at a host OS prompt.
   - Edit os/pc/pc to set up the kernel configuration.A simple/minimal set of changes to get something thatyou can see working is:
      - Change wminit to shell in the init section.
      - Set the consoleprint variable in the code section to 1.
      - Add the files /dis/lib/arg.dis and /dis/lib/filepat.disto the root section.

   - Create a file in os/pc called plan9.ini.If you're going to boot directly from the floppy, it shouldinclude the line: "bootfile=fd0!ipc.gz".If you're going to build a bootable CD, the line shouldbe "bootfile=sdD0!cdboot!ipc.gz".
# disk/format -b /Inferno/386/pbs -df inferno /Inferno/386/9load plan9.ini ipc.gzHow do I get Limbo, a C compiler, etc., in my native build?
Thanks!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: [9fans] Inferno (native)
@ 2016-03-12  5:37   ` cigar562hfsp952fans
From: cigar562hfsp952fans @ 2016-03-12  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

G B <g_patrickb@yahoo.com> writes:

> How do I get Limbo, a C compiler, etc., in my native build?

Well, you have to mount a file system containing the rest of the
operating system.  :) Did you do that?  The floppy image that you built
contains enough to boot the kernel, but not much else - certainly not a
Limbo compiler!