* [9fans] help wanted: Acme dump file format & hello from a 9oobie
@ 2011-01-21  4:44 smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-01-21  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

I'm new to Plan 9.  I just performed my first install last weekend.
[pause for applause] So far, there are some things that I LOVE about the
OS, some things I'm still getting used to, and some things that are just
driving me batty!  Like in any new relationship, I am trying to move
things from the "driving me batty" category to the "getting used to"
category.  :)

One thing that's driving me batty are the Acme "Dump" and "Load"
commands.  For some reason, when I "Load" a configuration I just
"Dump"ed, the windows aren't in the same configuration as when I saved
them.  (Exact procedure used: arrange windows, Dump, Exit, acme, Load,
grok wrongness).  So I tried looking at the contents of the file
acme.dump, to see if I could spot a problem or tweak something to get it
working.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any documentation of the acme.dump
file format anywhere on the interweb.  The file contains columns of
unlabeled numbers...  mostly small integers... the meaning of which are,
well, not immediately evident.

Yes, I know the source code is in /sys/src/cmd/acme, somewhere, but I
thought I'd better ask here before combing through a couple thousand
lines of code in a dialect of C I'm not yet familiar with.  :)

So, my noobie question:

  Is there any documentation of the acme.dump file format?

  Or can anybody tell me the format being used in acme.dump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(If anyone responds with this information, I'll make sure it gets posted
on the wiki for others to find.  Thanks!)

|E-Mail: smiley@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|

* Re: [9fans] help wanted: Acme dump file format & hello from a 9oobie
@ 2011-01-21  5:17 ` 6o205zd02
From: 6o205zd02 @ 2011-01-21  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That drove me crazy in plan9port too.  I sent a series  of patches to
address the various issues as I discovered them to Russ Cox and he
applied them to the plan9port tree.  I don't know if they all got
transferred to plan9 or not (I rarely have an opportunity or need to use
real plan9).  You might want to compare the acme sources (especially
rows.c) between plan9port and plan9.

I don't know of any documentation of the dump file format, but its not
too difficult to figure out from looking at the code for
rowdump and rowload in acme/rows.c.

     - Peter Canning