From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+nr@kpnqwest.no>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] mothra
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:33:21 +0000	[thread overview]

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@messagingdirect.com> writes:

> I'm not interested in reimplementing IE or Netscape. If I need those
> products, they are available to me elsewhere. What I am interested
> in is seeing how I can take advantage of Plan9 to create a (possibly
> new) method of viewing the web.

Hear!  Hear!  If one wants Netscape or IE, they're available.  If one
wants a tool that's geared toward the distributed sharing of
information in the context of a useful structure, something new and
interesting is needed.  The current XML trend is not it.  SGML is
closer (and actually is what XML merely claims to be), but it has its
flaws, and does not appeal to anyone who hasn't already figured out
that they need it.  A new flavor of web browser, in the spirit of Plan
9, might be a very good vehicle for the investigation of alternative
ways of disseminating information.

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.
                                                     --Eric S. Raymond