From: rgr@sdf.lonestar.org (Rob Ristroph)
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] USB wireless devices
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:56:43 -0500	[thread overview]

rasputin>
rasputin> * Rob Ristroph <rgr@sdf.lonestar.org> [0809 05:09]:

>> I was in the store looking to see if I could find a wireless
>> ethernet card I was sure would work on Plan 9.  I saw various USB
>> devices, which have a radio with a USB connection.  I was hoping
>> that these might be easier to get working, similar to how modems
>> with a serial port connection don't requre special drivers.
rasputin>
rasputin> Do you mean USB radios? If so I think you're barking up the
rasputin> wrong tree, these won't act as 802.11 devices.
rasputin> Apologies if that's not what you meant.

Well, I suppose an 802.11b USB device is technically a USB radio,
however I am not referring to the FM/AM receiver that is controllable
by a USB, I want to be able to send data as well.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=25

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201523&pcount=&Product_Id=122761

 From reading on the linux drivers to these devices they appear
complecated.  The driver might need to send firmware to the radio at
the other end.  I'm going to instead focus on finding PCI Prism-based
cards.

--Rob