From: blstuart@bellsouth.net
To: fernanbolando@mailc.net, 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:58:07 -0500	[thread overview]

> Weird i tried similar settings a few days ago and it didnt work. Can you
> post the vdi and hdd  settings too?

I had some success yesterday, but more so with Erik's 9atom
ISO than the one from the labs.  It handled the VirtualBox
disk emulation much better.  Anyway, I ended up with a
very similar configuration, but with the ISO on the secondary
master and the fossil FS on the primary master (though I think
it also worked the other way).  I tried all three of the disk
controller settings PIIX3, PIIX4, and ICH6, but none worked
with the Labs' image.  It looks like I used the  ICH6 setting
with 9atom.  I ended up using the PIIX3 chipset, but mostly
because that's what it was left on when I switched to 9atom.
I expect it would work with PIIX4 as well--not sure about the
ICH9.

Toward the end of the day, though, I also got a VirtualBox
instance to boot off of a real Plan9 file server as a diskless
terminal...using IL to Ken's FS even :)  This was with the
Intel PRO/1000 MT Server in a bridged config.  This also
required the VirtualBox extensions to allow PXE booting
from the Intel cards.

As always, your mileage may vary...

BLS