* [9fans] use installation disk as repair ?
@ 2003-02-28  9:51 Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-02-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
        I installed plan9 a few days ago.  I edited the /rc/bin/termrc
        script to uncomment the part that was marked as what you
        should use for dhcp.  Now when I boot it, it just hangs
        forever (I see the dhcp request and offer on the dhcp
        server).

        I'll have to figure out why dhcp doesn't work, but in the
        meantime, how can I mount the harddisk after booting up the
        installation floppy so I can back out my changes ?

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] use installation disk as repair ?
@ 2003-02-28 12:07 ` anyrhine
From: anyrhine @ 2003-02-28 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>	how can I mount the harddisk after booting up the
>	installation floppy so I can back out my changes ?

in case there is no /dev/sdC0 directory after booting,
you'll need to

	bind -a '#S' /dev

after that you can start kfs and mount what it serves with

	disk/kfs -n blah -f /dev/sdC0/fs
	mount -c /srv/kfs.blah /n/kfs

	-Aki Nyrhinen

* Re: [9fans] use installation disk as repair ?
@ 2003-02-28 13:28 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It you boot the install floppy you can draw
a new window and then run

	mount /srv/kfs._dev_sdC0_fs /n/kfs

and do what you need to do.  The DHCP should
time out after a couple minutes, though.
Perhaps you didn't wait long enough.

Once you get booting again, what is the
date on your kernel (ls -l /386/9pcdisk)?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] use installation disk as repair ?
@ 2003-03-01  3:22   ` Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-03-01  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ>
Russ> It you boot the install floppy you can draw
Russ> a new window and then run
Russ>
Russ> 	mount /srv/kfs._dev_sdC0_fs /n/kfs

That worked.  Thanks.  While I was waiting for an answer, I decided to
test the machine a bit more by booting from a floppy linux and a
cdrom-based linux, in order to see if my ethernet card was really
working; I ended up having weird kernel paging errors, and replaced
the ram, and then plan9 came up and found the network just fine.

Russ> and do what you need to do.  The DHCP should
Russ> time out after a couple minutes, though.
Russ> Perhaps you didn't wait long enough.

I left it on waiting all night; however, like I said, it appears to
have been bad memory.

Russ> Once you get booting again, what is the
Russ> date on your kernel (ls -l /386/9pcdisk)?

Sep 22 23:16

It seems to be working now, however.

--Rob