From: Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] ARM based terminal?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:50:09 +0000	[thread overview]

steve@quintile.net (Steve Simon) writes:

> I want to build a net booting silent plan9 terminal
> which will talk to a usb keyboard and mouse, and
> will drive an HDMI monitor at somthing like 1900x1200.
>
> Am I still stuck with x86 or is there an ARM solution these days?

I have a Dockstar with a USB-DVI adapter which can drive a 1600x1200
here, but it runs Arch Linux (and not yet drawterm because I can't get
libdraw to build), and draws not very fast.  Note that USB2 "only" has
480Mbit whereas DVI supports up to 3.2Gbit, so this is a USB2
restriction really.  Also, it uses "shared memory" and the Dockstar only
has 256Mb RAM.

There are Marvell-based systems with native DVI output, but they are
(far) more expensive.  (Well, the Dockstar nowadays too.)

I'm not sure if you can get Plan9 run natively on these, there seems to
be a preliminary port of Plan9 to armv5tel, but I'm not sure how well it
runs, nor what needs to be adapted to make it run on these different
boards.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org