From: Eris Discordia <eris.discordia@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Using the Acme Editor
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:39:59 +0100	[thread overview]

> Virtualization and jailing are hacks to work around the inherent

Virtualization is much more than that. It has a future and the future's
here. It also has a rather glorious past in IBM VM/CMS.

> restriction ('only root can become another user', hence su/sudo, only
> root can open certain ports, etc.) which Plan 9 cleanly does away
> with.

By assuming _anyone_ at a terminal is root, while sometimes the "terminal"
is not a terminal at all. What happens when your home computer is
bootstrapped? Is there a thing glenda can't do? I mean, if someone other
than you turns your home computer on is it OK for them to be entitled to
the same privileges that you normally are? Assuming there's method of
stopping them from disconnecting the hard disk inside and/or from peeking
into the data on it (there are practical solutions for both of these
problems).

> A plan9 terminal can run programs, and can have a local storage file
> system, with multiple users. As for authentication, in such use case
> unix auth is little more than a farce of security theater which could
> easily be implemented in plan9 (and I think some people has) if you
> wanted to keep your three year old child from accessing your account
> but is futile for much else.

A "terminal" per se should be dumb. How come it can run programs? It seems
a Plan 9 term isn't exactly a terminal, not a dumb one for sure. If it can
run a program, any program, who's going to control what the program
accesses, especially when there are _multiple_ users some of whom may not
be exactly trustable and there's a local store of sensitive information?

Basically, a terminal should not hold _any_ information on its users. Where
does the security of not keeping authentication information on a so-called
terminal go when you _keep_ it on the "terminal?" But with multiple users
you're going to need authentication. Right?

My impression: the UNIX authentication "farce" happened because UNIX began
as a replacement to a time-sharing system for more or less physically
secure computers but then was downsized to an OS--many OS's, in fact--also
usable on personal computers, e.g. 386BSD. Personal computers aren't as
physically secure as the proverbial "big computer in the basement," hence
the need for role-based security which was, incidentally, introduced in
386BSD. However, as long as the physical security problem persists the
"farce" goes on. Nothing wrong with UNIX. The twist is in the placement and
role of personal computers which can be flaky vessels for sensitive
information.

Plan 9 doesn't solve that problem for the most common form of computer,
i.e. the _home_ computer. Not even for the so-called "workstation." It
solves the problem only for the corporate/university/organization "access
point," if you know what I mean. Even then that isn't a _new_ solution--it
was there when the original time-sharing systems were in operation. Of
course, the Plan 9 solution costs--any solution does--and for the home
computer these costs aren't followed by gains.

The real problem: "standalone" terminal, also known as the home computer

The real solution: physical security for anything that may carry sensitive
information. Physical security must include software security against
physical threats as well, e.g. encryption.

As a side note, Rob Pike has been quoted--I take no responsibility for
authenticity--saying, "a smart terminal is not a smart ass terminal, but
rather a terminal you can educate."

That's the root of the problem: underestimation of home computers. A home
computer is a smart terminal as well as a smart ass terminal and there's
nothing you can do about it.

> Try to do ioctl over the network.

I think I said ioctl serves a less generic function.

> Here is a reason: Because Plan 9 has no network-related syscalls, and
> applications contain no networking code (even when they are still
> network transparent thanks to 9P), when ipv6 was added to plan9, no
> [...]

UNIX can accommodate this approach any minute now, figuratively speaking.
It has the infrastructure. Current networking traditions in UNIX aren't
inherent, they're circumstantial. Remember, the file system abstraction
began in UNIX--or even before UNIX?

> I don't think any unix systems allows a single application (or
> namespace) to access *multiple* network stacks concurrently... and
> remote network stacks? don't think so either.

So, what exactly is happening when the same process is sending HTTP
requests to a server on the local 802.3 network, a second server on the
Internet accessible through my dial-up connection, and a third server on a
802.11 network? Aren't there _three_ network stacks beneath (or over? the
PPP, the Ethernet, the WiFi interfaces? To my meager knowledge, these are
distinct at least up to network layer, i.e. physical-to-host, medium access
(if present), and data link layers are different.

> namespace) to access *multiple* network stacks concurrently... and
> remote network stacks? don't think so either.

Accessing another computer's network stack is possible through RPC. Though
the actual requirements for that feat are way beyond my scope.

> Ah, interesting example, isn't it sad that every database system on
> unix (or windows) needs to include its own networking code, its own
> authentication, etc.?

Please take a look at a simple application using System::Data::DataGrid.
Networking is completely transparent to the DataGrid class. It's been
abstracted like in Plan 9, though not in a technically identical way. In
fact, .NET framework has a whole range of abstractions for various purposes.

--On Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:42 AM +0200 Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com>