From: Matt Stewart <rotaerk1@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] some installation problems (was "panic: vmap")
Date: Wed,  4 Jan 2006 03:19:59 -0500	[thread overview]

The fix worked wonderfully!  (see thread "panic: vmap")  I was able to
install it from a graphical environment using VESA.  However, there
are some more issues that should be dealt with.

The wiki gives the following instructions to modify /lib/vgadb:
ramfs
ed /lib/vgadb
28683
/Stealth/
	0xC0045="Stealth 64 Vers. 1.05"
	0xC0045="Stealth 64 Vers. 2.03"
.
28712

If you select Boot at startup, you aren't given write permission to
/lib/vgadb, and as a result, these instructions can't be followed.  If
you select Install at startup, you can do this just fine.  However,
executing "ramfs" produces the following output: '/bin/boot' file does
not exist.  Luckily you don't even need the temporary filesystem,
because a write to /lib/vgadb works just fine.  If this behavior is
how it should be, the wiki should be changed, but I will wait on that
until it's decided what the desired behavior is.

The following is just a suggestion.  When Install is selected, a few
files are missing from /bin.  One of them is p.  If a user is forced
to exist in a pre-install text screen, this would be a big help in
reading files.

The last is in regards to my video card.  When I boot and select the
vga monitor, I am taken to a vga screen running an extremely slowly
printing and responding terminal, and the mouse cursor is a distorted
image.  When started by answering vga as the monitor, the vga terminal
(slowly) prints messages resembling "idle stat 172 put 177 scr
f02f18a4 F0162156".  I can instead pick none for the monitor and start
the vga screen with aux/vga, the result being the same slow terminal,
but without the idle messages.  The output of "aux/vga -p" indicated
that it was (correctly) using the nvidia driver, so I take this to
mean that it doesn't work for my model ("Geforce FX 5700LE VGA BIOS
XDN1" in the BIOS).  Adding this name to vgadb did not help.

Matthew Stewart