* [9fans] How long should it take fossil to dump to venti (1st time around)
@ 2010-01-26 20:04 Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2010-01-26 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks:

I've installed Plan 9 on another of my systems and so far so good.
This configuration is an all-in-one fossil+venti system.  Nothing has
been extended beyond the default ISO.

After I installed and rebooted I noticed that the hard drive light
came on and stayed on.  It's been on for several hours thus far.  I
assume that this is fossil being dumped for the first time but I
didn't think it would take this long.

Is there a way for me to peek at the dump process?  I'd like to turn
this machine off at some point but don't want to interrupt it.

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: [9fans] How long should it take fossil to dump to venti (1st time around)
@ 2010-01-26 20:19 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-01-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It will take a very long time, espicially if your IDE controller is not
known or it is and DMA is known to be problematic.

I suggest you resign yourself to leaving the machine on for many hours,
and then, when it stops rattling its disks, you shut it down (using the
fshalt command).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] How long should it take fossil to dump to venti (1st time around)
@ 2010-01-26 20:25   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-01-26 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jan 26 15:22:22 EST 2010, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> It will take a very long time, espicially if your IDE controller is not
> known or it is and DMA is known to be problematic.

the output of sossd (/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/sossd) is useful
if you suspect a problem.  i'll have a look if you'd rather not spam
the list.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] How long should it take fossil to dump to venti (1st time around)
@ 2010-01-26 21:29   ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2010-01-26 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 > It will take a very long time, espicially if your IDE controller is not
 > known or it is and DMA is known to be problematic.

Thanks, Steve.  The disks finally quieted down early this afternoon.
I just didn't expect it to take that long.

Matt